Zedless (for now)

Ponsonby

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

What happen to the Cayman?....

Drove a few but ultimately just didn't wow me enough to move from Zed's. I did agree to buy one and 'assumed' that since it was from a Porsche dealership it would have a full service. Turns out they only do that if it is due in the next 3 months and this car was due a major one in 5 months - and they were telling me that it would have to be done by a Porsche dealership to maintain the warranty - and at big cost. Anyway, I saw my arse and told them to forget it.

This did get me questioning why I was bothering especially as I like the Zed's so much and they suit my purpose. As I was pondering an absolute steal of a 370Z came up and it was meant to be.

So now I have a super low mileage 2016 370Z GT sat on my drive and I have no regrets.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2020 at 17:45, Ebized said:

If a new Zed does appear before I kick the bucket......and what it offers suits me, then yes, my Cayman may have to go, as it good as it is and whilst the Porsche customer care is second to none including a couple of free days at their Silverstone track, I still hanker after a another Zed as the 3 I had were all brilliant for me. :thumbs:  

Nissan prefer to offer those events to youtubers instead.... I agree regarding their customer care as Ive been told. Well it has to be with all the money being paid.

On 08/02/2020 at 12:15, Ponsonby said:

Drove a few but ultimately just didn't wow me enough to move from Zed's. I did agree to buy one and 'assumed' that since it was from a Porsche dealership it would have a full service. Turns out they only do that if it is due in the next 3 months and this car was due a major one in 5 months - and they were telling me that it would have to be done by a Porsche dealership to maintain the warranty - and at big cost. Anyway, I saw my arse and told them to forget it.

This did get me questioning why I was bothering especially as I like the Zed's so much and they suit my purpose. As I was pondering an absolute steal of a 370Z came up and it was meant to be.

So now I have a super low mileage 2016 370Z GT sat on my drive and I have no regrets.

Which model Cayman was it? I heard they are bringing back 6 cylinders to both Boxster and Cayman. Thats the new line. I'm sure they could have thrown in a discount or something for the upcoming service and push through the sale. Porsche know someone will come and buy it regardless. Again all comes down to whether an equivalent Cayman is 3 4 times the car the zed is. Yes its lighter, its quicker by a second and more above 60. Is the cost justified and is it worth £1000 for a service like my brother paid for his carrera before his got written off recently. Personal choice.

Saying that I went in the Carrera S 2019 911 444 BHP. Impressive car. 3.7 Seconds, aggressive. Exhaust was quiet, lots of turbo and spooling noises. This model didnt have reverse camera, auto dip mirrors and a host of other options. The cost im sure was still £100,000+. No where near as good as his original 2015 3.8 Carrera PDK with a natural engine

48 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Which model Cayman was it? I heard they are bringing back 6 cylinders to both Boxster and Cayman. Thats the new line. I'm sure they could have thrown in a discount or something for the upcoming service and push through the sale. Porsche know someone will come and buy it regardless. Again all comes down to whether an equivalent Cayman is 3 4 times the car the zed is. Yes its lighter, its quicker by a second and more above 60. Is the cost justified and is it worth £1000 for a service like my brother paid for his carrera before his got written off recently. Personal choice.

Saying that I went in the Carrera S 2019 911 444 BHP. Impressive car. 3.7 Seconds, aggressive. Exhaust was quiet, lots of turbo and spooling noises. This model didnt have reverse camera, auto dip mirrors and a host of other options. The cost im sure was still £100,000+. No where near as good as his original 2015 3.8 Carrera PDK with a natural engine

Official Porsche service costs are huge. I have a copy of a printout of Porsche Service History for a Cayman I looked at. It was a very low mileage car so minor service at 4500 miles cost £923 and then the full service, done at 8,200 miles cost the owner £1580. They also paid for the extended warranty at nearly £1800.

Yeah, that doesn’t add up to me. Regular minor service is about £450 and that’s only every two years, major is twice that and again every two years, so low mileage might not be as relevant as age. Could be the condensers needed changing too, that can bump up the cost but then that’s not part of the service plan. 

The services for my old car were about £500 and £1200 IIRC, the latter including the condensers and 111pt check. 

5 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

Official Porsche service costs are huge. I have a copy of a printout of Porsche Service History for a Cayman I looked at. It was a very low mileage car so minor service at 4500 miles cost £923 and then the full service, done at 8,200 miles cost the owner £1580. They also paid for the extended warranty at nearly £1800.

Sounds about right for a premium vehicle. With Porsche they know they are at top of the mid range and top end sports car market. They have no qualms charging these amounts. Their market will happily pay it. Im sure servicing a boxster is no cheaper. Maybe a couple quid off the major service if that.

Its easy to assume that the 911 Carrera S would have been classed as a near supercar if it came out 10 years ago. The performance is up there. Even the naturally aspirated 3.8 carrera pdk claims 4.5 seconds. The fact that rival cars claiming the same time cant keep up to 70mph means its actually faster in reality.

Gotta pay to play :lol:. Depending on the Cayman model if an S or GTS PDK of recent years its probably quicker than the Nismo and lighter by a good 150kg