Paycos New Project and Build Thread

Payco

19 hours ago, Payco said:

Rainy day today so not much I could outside in some spare time. I am also in limbo waiting for some parts to arrive from the USA. Despite this there are always jobs to do when restoring an old car. Some are easier than others for sure. Today I took out the hardboard foot well side boards as they were scruffy. Cut out new ones from hardboard and carpeted them.

Before and after photo. Sorry its not very exciting. The good stuff is around the corner..

Panel 1.jpg

Panel 2.jpg

Little things like that can make a lot of difference 

• Like 3

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 04:31, chips said:

looks like japanese magazine cover i have.
yes the magazine has a cover sheet!

are they su's being replaced by webers?

was there a radiator cap change, themostat change or something to go with with ditching the overflow?
I did similar on my 70's car and now that it dumps it on the ground rather than sucking it back in so i'm thinking what are the options.
doesn't really matter as i spend more time under the bonnet than road time so i'm ok with it if just have to live with it and refil.

I also tidied my washer motor and carby using vinegar to clean it. it did a good job but corrosion comes back. what's the after cleaning secret there to keeping it shiny?

footwell side boards fix details isn't boring.   : )  I replaced mine with american oak ply veneer. 

datsun1.jpg

Nice mag. No change on the rad cap when I removed the overflow tank. Strictly speaking it wasn't necessary and the stock 510 just had the green overflow tube off the side of the rad cap and into the well. I am replacing the current carbs with 40 weber side drafts in the Spring next year, My secret to keeping all the areas and fittings ie rocker cover polished after I have re polished them is to give them a light coating of clear lacquer. Worked fine on my 350z plenum for the five years I had the car. Thanks for looking.:teeth:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Next stage of the project kicks in next week. New window steels have arrived from South Africa for the front and back windscreens and are being fitted Tuesday. Front chin from Ermish racing in the US has arrived. Painting the front chin this weekend the same colour as my rims. Mounting it next Sat.

Chin photo below to wet the appetite and photo of what will be the front end look.Photos to follow next week.

F2404C3E-6D80-4B00-9964-32082438AD34.jpeg

C5608305-8D55-42FC-90A7-65C0A0BEB5BB.jpeg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 5

Week started with frustration as although the chrome beading I had sent from South Africa for the front and rear windscreens was fine the rubber was not. I have had to order rubbers from Datsport in Australia so that job is delayed. 

Today I fitted the Troy Ermish front chin that came from the USA and sprayed it the same colour as my rims.

8B88E959-8FA3-4955-AF05-63AD61F1C40A.jpeg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 5

Agree Stu and that will happen when she has her full bare metal respray. Colour matching her at the moment is pretty tough as the paint is 50 years old. Thought matching the colour with my rims was a good interim plan..

Edited by Payco

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Full respray in a years time so not too bothered on colours for lips etc. Just getting all the bits done. Next up after the new window steels are fitted will be the webbers, new head and few other surprises after Chrimbo

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Payco said:

Thanks guys. Full respray in a years time so not too bothered on colours for lips etc. Just getting all the bits done. Next up after the new window steels are fitted will be the webbers, new head and few other surprises after Chrimbo

What's the colour you've got in mind? Going to stay as is or pick something 70s or go mental and get a custom, candy, purple, gold fleck with sprinkles and everything?

• Like 1

Lol Stu. I am torn at the moment. Choice from the 3 options below. Not sure. Cant decide. But it will be a period colour - 1971. Happy for peoples comments or choice.

Edited by Payco

12 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Hmmm all good colours. But I would sway towards the yellow. but the green is also great as well...

yes, think its the front runner Andy.:clap: Hope you and Sarah are both keeping well.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

Stu, yes a few more 70's colours for sure but have narrowed it down to 3. Its a big decision that will need making this time next year when the full bare metal respray gets underway. Hope all is well your end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...