Paycos New Project and Build Thread

Payco

Found myself some original watnabes in the very hard to find right size, 114.3 pcd and in 14's with right offset. Had them refurbed this week and collecting them Sunday for fitting next week before she heads off for a week to have her coilovers and suspension set up all fitted.

rims 1.jpg

rims 2.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 7

New radiator went in Sat. Collected new rims Sunday for fitting with coil overs next week.

Out with the old and in with the new..Engine bay is slowly coming up to scratch. Also got rid of the unnecessary and ugly over flow tank which shouldn't have been there.

CHb6aEW.jpg

new rad.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 3

Small update. Delivered her to Herne Bay yesterday on her new rims for the coilovers to be fitted. Have to say the 2.5 hour drive was so much fun. Surprised I didn’t cause an accident as so many people glanced over at her. Photo of her on the new rims in the workshop.

BDF32CDF-F96F-4F3D-B76D-94E180B044C1.jpeg

499923D5-99E9-44BB-BDB4-3599A433A18E.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Mike k-g said:

Not really a classic car fan but do like yours payco

everything looks so easy to work on.

Mike k-g

Thanks. Only registered SSS in the UK which I have had confirmed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little progress given lockdown etc. Got the suspension on now and we are just getting the height we want on the coilovers. Going to bring her down a small amount at the back and up a little at the front. Will share more when she is where we want her.

510 lowering.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hoping to pick the car back up from Herne Bay in a few weeks or have it delivered. Could have been doing so much if I had her here with me. Been busy buying  a few parts one of which has been near impossible to source. After a long hunt I found an original fuse box in Japan which arrived today. Nothing wrong with my current one but it does have a  burn rash on the lid and a bolt rather than the plug in the middle of the lid. Anyone who knows me understands how fussy I am about trying to get things exactly as I want them or how they should be. New replacement below,

Much more to follow when she's back with me.

In other news, going to have a full bare metal re-spray in 2022 in her orginal colour. below video is the colour and a great example.

NEW DATSUN FUSEBOX 2.jpg

NEW DATSUN FUSEBOX1.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

the restoration project is now resumed. Currently the carbs and associated hardware is being rebuilt as on inspection there are a few signs of wear in her 49 years of being in this world.

Gaskets were shot so new ones have been made from gasket corking as originals are near impossible to source. Also had to put a new copper float in the rear carb as she had become porous.

They are all refreshed and going back on with new fuel pipes and clips.

Lastly, added a new fuel filter.

carbs 5.jpg

carb 3.jpg

carbs 7.jpg

carb 2.jpg

carb 4.jpg

carbs 8.jpg

carbs 6.jpg

carbs 9.jpg

filter.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. A lot has happened in the short time she has been back with me having been locked down having her suspension fitted since 18th March. She now sits much better on her coilovers.

First up was to give her a good clean, polish the original and rare watanabe rims and dress the tyres. Next was to polish the wing mirrors mounted on her bonnet. Followed this little job with a refurb of the grill and then fitted my SSS badge.

Swapped out the standard airbox for some conical filters and added the required breather filter.

Removed the tatty petrol tank cover in the trunk and carpeted it. Next job was to template a new back plate to the trunk which I will also cover along with making a new boot floor plan and carpeting that too.

Will let you follow the photos in order of the above. More to follow over the coming days and weeks.

Hope everyone remains safe and well.

MP3.jpg

MP1.jpg

MP9.jpg

MP6.jpg

MP7.jpg

BOOT1.jpg

TRAY.jpg

BOOT2.jpg

MP4.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 6

So next up is refurbishing the rear light clusters. They will be repainted and re chromed but as always with older cars it isn't that simple.

Removed the units and opened them up to clean but 50 years of being on this planet has meant the rubber internal gaskets are all dried out and rotten. Have ordered some self adhesive 2mm/5mm draft excluder rubber to make my own replacements. Lights are now out ready to drop off Saturday along with my rear quarter badges and front light surrounds.

Replacing current rear bulbs with plug and play LEDs.

badge.jpg

Lighta.jpg

light 3.jpg

light 2.jpg

gasket 1.jpg

Rear.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 3