Paycos New Project and Build Thread

Payco

The day finally arrived yesterday when the new project arrived. Having owned a 2006 DE 350z for a few years and then a Pearl white Mark 2 Nismo 370z and modded both I fancied a change. I looked into 240z/260z but concluded I wanted something Jap, old and retro and super rare. I landed on the Datsun 510. Having spent a few weeks researching the different variants I concluded I wanted a Datsun SSS 1600 Coupe. Research showed that there wasn't another one registered in the UK so the challenge began.

After a deep search I found one for sale that was held in the Datsun Heritage Centre in South Africa where it had been homed indoors for the last 8 years of its 50 year old life. After many videos, photos, calls etc I pulled the trigger in October and the process of shipping her began.

She finally arrived yesterday and to my delight she met all expectations. Incredibly still in in her original paint and in amazing condition. Whilst waiting for her I sourced a spare 510 suspension and have built a set of coilovers which I will swap out with the suspension currently on the car. (I am not modding her), its just the stock ride height is just too high. She will stay original, attend our meets and classic car shows and be a daily driver in our better months.

Anyway enough talking for now, here she is.:teeth:

Datsun 2.jpg

Datsun 3.jpg

Datsun 1.jpg

Datsun 4.jpg

Datsun 6.jpg

Datsun 5.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 13

10 minutes ago, andy james said:

That’s lovely Martin!

looking forward to following your build. 

Thanks AJ and all. Will post some more when shes had a tidy up this weekend.

• Like 1

Small update. Got her running for the first time Saturday as she wouldn't fire. Removed the airbox, opened up the pistons on the carbs and injected some petrol in her. Bingo, she fired and purred like a cat. Took her out for a little run (not UK registered yet) and I couldn't stop smiling. Interesting driving a car with now PAS though. Spent the weekend cleaning her and going over the car and shes in incredible condition.

First job was to remove the aftermarket spot lights on the front bumper. She looks much better without them. Removed some jap non standard stickers etc and gave the inside a good clean.

Some before and after photos with and without spots and the interior.

Next up is to fit a nice new period aerial.

Coilovers nearly finished so that arch gap will close soon.:teeth:

Datsun 4.jpg

front new.jpg

Interior 1.jpg

side photo.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Absolutely superb Martin. she looks awesome. how did she drive? Cracking job.

She drove lovely. So much fun. I love all the little touches like the folding ash trays in the back of the seats etc etc.

Shes being tuned and serviced in a couple of weeks but she runs fine. Oil is like honey,:teeth:

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul K said:

looks like a cracking motor...look forward to seeing it at Motors by the Moat........talking of which.........are we doing it again?

All booked for the Sunday Paul. Details to follow in March. Hope all is well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Noting exciting as I am drawing up a sensible list of things to do AFTER her coilovers go on in a few weeks time.

Removed the two pin stripes that ran full length of the car both sides yesterday for a smoother look. They were non standard too. The line you can see on the photo is just the panel line now.

Classic black metal plates with silver lettering going on this weekend so will share then.

without pin stripes..jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. The radiator in my 510 SSS coupe is not a 510 radiator, is plumbed with the wrong hose configuration and is useless in its current state. 510 radiators are very very hard to come by and owners end up having to fit aftermarket alloy copies which is not what I wanted to do given I want the car to be 100% original. After a hard search I found one that was well cored and working but needed a good paint.

This weekend I managed to clean it up, paint it and get her ready for fitting.

Some photos below of the current rad, how she looked on receipt, during cleaning and painted ready for fitting.

rad 4.jpg

rad 3.jpg

rad 5.jpg

new rad1.jpg

new rad 2.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 4

When and where is it Ady. She is having her coilovers fitted beg March so it will depend on timing. She will be at most events this year. Will be on your turf at the ACE meet in June for sure and maybe Japfest.

Edited by Payco