Headlight care...

zippypooz

If you don't have a machine polisher, for the sake of £7.50 these will save alot of elbow grease if you have a cordless drill to attach them to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINOMO-Polishing-Sponge-Buffing-Adapter/dp/B071LFWJ3Y

Just remember to mask the surroundings and don't go too hard or fast which can create best and damage.

• Like 1

It depends how bad they are.

Polishing may require anything from light cut compound/pad up to wet sanding to restore. Standard rules of engagement with any polishing; start with the lightest cut and work up if you need to. You might need a multi-stage polish working back down to finish if they're particularly bad (and you definitely will if you need to wet sand).

As for sealing, anything with UV protection will do a job;

Short term - wax/sealant every month when you do the rest of the car.

Mid term - coating or wrap of your choice.

Long term - UV resistant top coat.

Or any combination of those.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, some good info there! Mine arnt too bad but I like the amazon buffer idea so I may invest in that! As for wrapping them, I’m probably gonna do that, I’ve been thinking about making these as kits but it depends on how easy it is for a novice to apply a pre cut shape. Failing that I suppose a rectangular piece of film is just as good. avery have just brought out a great PPF film which I want to try, super high gloss too. I like what you’ve done there Davey! I was looking at tints but thought they were a little dark, what did you use as this seems about right!

Mine have been wrapped since Sept 2018 and look a fresh as the day they were applied. Hated having to polish the ever few months to keep them from fading and the more you polish the less of the factory UV coating remaining so they fog up quicker. 

The below is what I bought iirc for mine

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254443838993

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Mine have been wrapped since Sept 2018 and look a fresh as the day they were applied. Hated having to polish the ever few months to keep them from fading and the more you polish the less of the factory UV coating remaining so they fog up quicker. 

The below is what I bought iirc for mine

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254443838993

Cheers :thumbs:

Just ordered a clear one from the same supplier.

May have to wait for nicer weather to apply it though.

• Like 1

I machined mine over the weekend, last time I did them was Feb 2019. I used my DAS6 with Autosmart Evo, 2 passes then 2 coats of Fusso99 light wax. 

Headphones, you can't be too far away from me in Manchester, so if you want to take a look at them just let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did mine a few months ago now, has been winter so don't know just how well there going to hold out in alot of sunlight! 

I used a Maguire's kit that came with a UV protectant spray. There is enough polish & spray left to do it a few more times too if it doesn't last! I do like Dave's tinted lights though!

IMG_20191019_163720.jpg.e8b8d4650a55bdd100d85d44b73fe1fa.jpg

Before and after pics below. 

IMG_20191019_132802.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I think if your clear coat on the headlights has failed, or you need to cut through it to get them clear, you'll need to put on more clear coat if not it will just fade again. I used a 2k clear coat on mine. I did take them off and gave them a good wet sand starting with a 360 grit. There's loads of plastic on there so you cant go wrong really, finish it on an 800 after working up the grits, do a tack coat of 2k, 2-3 top coats and you're done. And don't be concerned about the haze on the last sanding pass, the clear coat wets it out and turns it crystal clear again! 

I used this kit in past:

Mookis DIY Vehicle Headlight Restoration Kit Heavy Duty Drill Based, Headlight Restore with UV Protection (Headlight Restoration Kit) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GYQT7CS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6czqEbEBRA3CV

Its cheap which is nice but comes with some uv protection stuff that goes on like a ceramic coat, wrong time of year for it at moment as any moisture near it and it messes it up, has to remain dry for 12 or 24 hours. The sand paper can be a bit delicate but it works

Nice little kit that.

Everything you need bar the drill in one affordable package.

Try to update us yearly on how the UV coating holds up.

Ive tried the similar Turtlewax pack and the coating only lasted a year or so.

Same with Gtechniq C4.

Gonna try a clear wrap after polishing next time.

I gave this stuff a try yesterday- 

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/turtlewax-headlight-cleaner-and-sealant-300ml-552777401?gclid=CjwKCAiA4Y7yBRB8EiwADV1hacHksPB-4iLQkoYzjSLXayFMpAN0-BrYPMIuh9NS7YrWPM88apWUDBoCBg0QAvD_BwE

I'm pretty impressed with the results, not sure how long the lights will stay nice and clear but considering it only took half an hour to do both (by hand) I won't mind having to to re-apply every now and again. 

20200211_145206.jpg

20200211_151556.jpg

20200211_145152.jpg

20200211_151549.jpg

Edited by Jack94
  • Like 2

Yeah I'm not sure I'd trust myself with some sandpaper on a drill unless the headlights were off the car.. Same reason I've never tried using a da polisher :lol: 

I still masked the paintwork up just to be safe seeing as the compound must be at least midly abrasive, but it was super easy to avoid getting any on the bodywork. 

You don't really wipe the product off, it seems to break down as you rub it into the lense (similar to how scratch remover paste works on paintwork).

The product info says "Formulated with OEM acrylic resins to help prevent oxidation and cloudiness from reoccurring" so will be interesting to see how it lasts. I'd also assume a proper UV resistant coating would be more durable so we'll see! 

But yeah my plan is to keep them topped up with wax each time I wash the car. 

Edited by Jack94