Tailgate Struts -SGS

ricochet

So on cold mornings boot lid will not stay up at first. looked around , decided to buy SGS struts @ £29.70 ea. (NitroLift)

phoned and spoke to aguy who asked if it had a spoiler isaid yes the std one ( I thought they all did..)

so he said you need code 1751 , same price. ordered,  to be despatched next day  .

When they arrived they were code 1749 which is for boot lid without spoiler. I contacted Customer service who said they were ok to use.

I later emailed Customer service  who asked for the force printed on the side of the strut  --which was 470N. they confirmed this was the correct fitment.

said all 350Z struts were same length, just set to different forces.

I will fit them some time this week ( with slight help from son of Ricochet ),

1   has anyone come across this situation with SGS?

2   With the query to customer service they responded within 24hrs, however the  the guy who took my original order got my mob no and e mail wrong ,

not very confidence inspiring, meaning I had to chase for an invoice.

3   and this pee''d me off tbh.. ...on the home web page at the top it says  'Free Delivery* over  £50' . turns out this is ex VAT cost!   so ihad to buy a £5 craft knife , no more than £1'99 in Wickes, to bring the cost up to over £50 for free delivery .   grrr..     

All comments welcomed  , except those  I don't like

JC 

Not a completely similar experience but thought I'd share:

Bought the standard ones from them (and also bought some grips just to get the postage costs covered!), and later realised they had uprated ones for cars with spoilers for not much more. I hadn't fitted the standards at this point, so ordered the best ones available (which took the order inc VAT over the £50 so free delivery)

Paid for the struts through Paypal, so I returned the original ones and claimed back on the postage costs (in-case you don't know about this, you get 15 cases per year where Paypal will refund return postage costs upto £15 each). It took a good couple of weeks to actually get the refund from them though.

But, they do their thang! Boot is well supported now when it's open

point 3 was that their prominent delivery statement was misleading ,     we have to pay VAT so why quote without it if not to mislead?

but the post's main point was  about the suitability of the struts,   which I may find out later in the week.

I have always found SGS very helpful and professional and the T & Cs on there web site are very clear and concise.

Most vat registered companies list there parts ex vat and this is broken down at check out, clearly showing the ex vat price.

If you have a spoiler fitted I always recommend SKU 1750 which are a bit more expensive than the other two options but well worth the extra IMHO.

SKU 1750 are the struts for aftermarket spoilers.

SKU 1751 are for lip spoiler

SKU 1749 are for no spoiler.

HOW DO I GET FREE DELIVERY?

Online orders over £50 ex VAT will automatically have free delivery applied when you add to basket. Unfortunately, this offer only extends to web orders with a delivery address in the UK mainland – N Ireland, Ireland, parts of Scotland, Highlands and Islands and International delivery addresses will have their exact carriage cost calculated during checkout. This does not include telephone orders or our re-gas service.

17 hours ago, zelda said:

I bought the uprated ones despite only having a lip spoiler. I basically didnt want the same problem to happen again.. but now it's quite hard to close the boot.

I bought the mildly uprated ones also and still found them inadequate at times to hold up the hatch. :thumbdown:

was looking at what fitting them (the 1749 code items)  might be a problem.. the bolt on the tailgate was a bit arkward to get a spanner on and nothing I had seemed  to fit

snugly.  anyone else had this ? 

on the bright side I can use the delivery tube to hold the  lid up, however I need to be careful with it,  might need it to return them

Msitpro's  post  is slightly concerning

Msitpro......  what is the N rating on yours ? .

Edited by ricochet

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 18:41, ZMANALEX said:

I have always found SGS very helpful and professional and the T & Cs on there web site are very clear and concise.

Most vat registered companies list there parts ex vat and this is broken down at check out, clearly showing the ex vat price.

If you have a spoiler fitted I always recommend SKU 1750 which are a bit more expensive than the other two options but well worth the extra IMHO.

SKU 1750 are the struts for aftermarket spoilers.

SKU 1751 are for lip spoiler

SKU 1749 are for no spoiler.

HOW DO I GET FREE DELIVERY?

Online orders over £50 ex VAT will automatically have free delivery applied when you add to basket. Unfortunately, this offer only extends to web orders with a delivery address in the UK mainland – N Ireland, Ireland, parts of Scotland, Highlands and Islands and International delivery addresses will have their exact carriage cost calculated during checkout. This does not include telephone orders or our re-gas service.

I have a genuine Nismo V2 spoiler and the uprated SKU 1750 work fine, until it snows and the boot lid gets covered.

Then it's lethal if you are leaning over to put things in the boot ;)