Wobbly rear end

Shunter8

For want of a better term I've got what can only really be described as a wobbly rear end on my 350. It drives normally and like it should I believe in most scenarios but I just notice when I hit a bump in the road it's as if the back end of the car jiggles side to side a bit, but not as in loss of traction. More so like there's jelly between either the car and the subframe or potentially some of the other bushes.

I've had a quick search and scroll through the tech section etc, but can't seem to see anyone having had a similar issue, but I'm sure it has probably occurred somewhere. Any one have any ideas on which bushes or components to check first save me blindly checking them all if one/some are common offenders?

For reference, get no knocks, bangs or creaks etc from any of the suspension, feels smooth and quiet like it should, just not as tight as I'd expect it to be.

Thanks in advance

21 hours ago, Shunter8 said:

For want of a better term I've got what can only really be described as a wobbly rear end on my 350. It drives normally and like it should I believe in most scenarios but I just notice when I hit a bump in the road it's as if the back end of the car jiggles side to side a bit, but not as in loss of traction. More so like there's jelly between either the car and the subframe or potentially some of the other bushes.

I've had a quick search and scroll through the tech section etc, but can't seem to see anyone having had a similar issue, but I'm sure it has probably occurred somewhere. Any one have any ideas on which bushes or components to check first save me blindly checking them all if one/some are common offenders?

For reference, get no knocks, bangs or creaks etc from any of the suspension, feels smooth and quiet like it should, just not as tight as I'd expect it to be.

Thanks in advance

I have the excact same feeling on my 370 

Currently trying to hunt down the issue

@ OP Check the drop links (I've snapped one in the past) if not that it's a bush or 2 that have worn. Its not usually something you can see unless they are hanging out but they have worn out most likley on one of the control arms.

Not so sure on the 370 depends on age but IMO the ARB on the back end of a 370 is a bit whimpy to start with - upgrade made a huge difference on mine.

Got exactly the same issue with mine, side to side  rear wobble and a rear end which feels it's made of jelly whenever you try and push the car on a bit.  I'm just short of 100k on mine now and since I've had it 10 years I'm going to do a full rear suspension refresh. 

In the past couple of years it's had a set of bc racing coilovers , eibach camber arms and spl droplinks (plus updated arb) and a recent alignment so I'm thinking it's a bush but again, nothing is obvious. I'm just holding off for the January sales in case i can get any bargain parts then will be cracking early jan with the refresh of all the bushes and arms. Will let you know how I get on.

7 hours ago, Keyser said:

@ OP Check the drop links (I've snapped one in the past) if not that it's a bush or 2 that have worn. Its not usually something you can see unless they are hanging out but they have worn out most likley on one of the control arms.

Not so sure on the 370 depends on age but IMO the ARB on the back end of a 370 is a bit whimpy to start with - upgrade made a huge difference on mine.

Cars just back from having clutch done and I asked him to look at the suspension... he thinks the kinetix bushes in the arms I have are a bit worn...I imagine it's all probly a bit worn as its getting on 10 years old now

12 hours ago, Keyser said:

Oddly enough I was starting to think ARB/drop link related today. Hopefully if the weathers kind tomorrow I’ll jack it up and have a good prod around to see if anything looks perished or even just old and tired and go from there.