F1 and other maufacturer supported motorsport future

Ebized

Not with internal combustion engines (that we enjoy) for much longer I fear, as the article in the link sadly predicts.  But then F1 in particular has lost a lot of interest by the casual followers anyway - the absence of interest on this forum being an example and quite understandable in the way the F1 has been run/regulated in recent times.  Inevitable really given the climate change evidence as manufacturers increasingly move to non-fossil fueled, in part or in whole, transport.

https://thejudge13.com/2019/12/03/honda-pull-out-of-f1-red-bull-quits-manufacturers-question-participation/

Enjoy your ZEDS while you can as generations to come will not be able to do so....

Does the loss of interest in F1 correlate directly with technological changes and new restrictions...Or is it just a case of less racing and more politics? Are there backhanders from climate change activists and government ministers to manufacturers to step away from the internal combustion engine in motorsports then slowly in production vehicles?

Companies like Nissan seem to have taken a shine to Formula E. About as exciting as tumbleweed. That seems to be the future.

While I would like to experience a formula 1 event it wont be long before they become Quad turbo hybrid 4 cylinders.

I stopped watching years ago and havent looked back since. I like the idea and respect the technical nature of Formula 1. 

Well in terms of the Zeds. I drive mine once or twice a week. Then a hybrid the rest of the time. Either way the only real pollution happens once a week. Its not feasible to outright ban petrol engines until EV becomes very affordable and very widely available. 

Even then there isnt enough resources to regulate and enforce this ban.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Except F1 viewing figures have increased by about 10% over the last year, they also did the year before. WEC are introducing a hypercar class in 2020/21 which will get 75% of its power from an ICE engine, WRC, WRX, Indycar, F3, NAscar, DTM, WTC all continue to use ICE as well.  

That article says is that Honda havent committed to supplying Red Bull after 2021 which isnt exactly earth shattering when you realise they only did 2 seasons with McLaren. In fact I use the word "article" very loosely as it doesnt seem to contain very much other than conjecture and "what ifs", Im not entirely sure the author knows what point he was trying to make :lol:

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Does the loss of interest in F1 correlate directly with technological changes and new restrictions...Or is it just a case of less racing and more politics?

It correlates directly with the poor quality free coverage.

Despite ITV dropping the bar for quality coverage to the floor for years, closely followed by the BBC who, although initially raised the bar somewhat, slowly reduced the quality year after year before giving up and Channel 4 continuing the same trend, fewer people were willing to pay to watch good quality coverage on Sky.

Seems it's not quality coverage that people want, it's just free coverage. Without that, a lot of casual fans just walked away. With free coverage giving up (almost) entirely now, there's actually been a slight increase in viewing figures this year.

8 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

With free coverage giving up (almost) entirely now, there's actually been a slight increase in viewing figures this year.

Having been in North America for 7+ years now, F1 is gaining traction, when I first came here a lot of North American folk were like "F1?", now I can have a conversation with more of them on the races. We get the Sky coverage on TSN which is good, I miss UK based commentating in other sports . . just awful. 

Would be interesting to see the viewing figures on a global basis. I am betting more Dutch fans will be watching next year having a home race :snack:

My only beef is that I like to watch the races live . . . 4am/5am on Saturdays & Sundays is a killer :lol:

If you want to get a good inside view of F1 read Total Competition by Ross Brawn. He talks very candidly about it, even to the point he talks about how is weaknesses as a political standpoint left him being manipulated around the paddock. The power Bernie had, and to be frank the shocking unilateral decisions he made, you will be left shaking your head!

Oh I get he created a monster of a show, however it was clear he lost his marbles a bit towards the end. Even Ross, an absolute giant in F1, smarter than anyone, found himself sacked out the show when he mismanaged his relationship with Bernie.