MPS4s

Kev T

With another service and MOT looming soon and my current MPSS down to around 2.5mm i decided it was time to change despite the Growler being a garage Queen over winter, so having read many reviews and posts i have decided on the MPS4s as the best all rounder for me. I went with e tyres as they have 10% off over this weekend and went for a size up as they are currently available, so 255/35/19 and 285/19/35 for a reasonable 733. good old English pounds fitted this coming Friday at a local Tyre fitters

I have great expectations of these tyres as the older MPSS were great !

22 minutes ago, Ekona said:

So did you buy the 4, or the 4S? 

I'd say the 4s as that size he went for is what you advised me to go for ....

OP you wont be disappointed you just need to blast a bit of the tread block off I found them a little unsettling at first and when I spoke to centre gravity they confirmed it was these tyres when new ! Get a few miles on them tho and they come into there own and hang on for grim death :thumbs:

What are peoples thoughts on Goodyear Eagle F1 A2's compared with MPS4S's?  

I've been running part worn MPS4S's on my Mustang for the last 7k miles but they're ready to be swapped again, but I cant find any part worns, and dont really want to pay £450 for a pair.

The Goodyear's are waaay cheaper, at about £120 each...

12 hours ago, marzman said:

What are peoples thoughts on Goodyear Eagle F1 A2's compared with MPS4S's?  

I've been running part worn MPS4S's on my Mustang for the last 7k miles but they're ready to be swapped again, but I cant find any part worns, and dont really want to pay £450 for a pair.

The Goodyear's are waaay cheaper, at about £120 each...

I'll leave that to our forum tyre guru, but as a rule why do you think things half the cost are that cost?

• Like 1

Ok then i have had the new MPS4s fitted this morning and first impressions are very good, they feel planted and very confidence inspiring from cold, they also seem quieter than the MPSS as well.

I liked the old MPSS but did find that particularly when cold they would tramline on uneven surfaces which the MPS4s do not, of course the ultimate test will be a track day which will not be until the spring at the earliest but at the moment i would certainly recommend them .

I had Goodyear Eagle F1's A1s on my Zed for a while before replacing with MPS2's.  The MPS2's were definitely an improvement on track, but on the road i can't honestly say I felt any difference.

Im going to hold out for the MPS4's on the mustang though, as it feels a bit sacrilegious to but anything else on it.

• 3 months later...

Yup, I want the best regardless B) 

Actually I probably wouldn’t, as many have rated the F1s of days gone by as great in the wet when I found them to be the exact opposite. Still, I’d happily try some just for fun. 

I would just add the current F1's & F1 SuperSport are two different tyres........

1 hour ago, coldel said:

If the general consensus came back that GY were better...would you...swap? :ohmy:

No, love my CSC6 :ninja:

Edited by davey_83

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

I would just add the current F1's & F1 SuperSport are two different tyres........

Oh I know, but there have been many different revisions of the F1s and they’ve all been consistent in the wet handling IMHO that I wouldn’t expect Goodyear to suddenly throw all that away and go in a different direction. 

And yet, in the wet handling test the new F1 SuperSport was the clear winner. Much like the new Turtlewax products, they are actually very good compared to the competition. 

You are doing the new Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport an injustice by assuming it's character and by not listening to the professional.

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

And yet, in the wet handling test the new F1 SuperSport was the clear winner. Much like the new Turtlewax products, they are actually very good compared to the competition. 

You are doing the new Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport an injustice by assuming it's character and by not listening to the professional.

Not really, I’m going off personal previous experiences of their previous tyres of the same ilk. I think I said that everyone else finds them good in the wet, yet I found the feel and grip to be dreadful. That was across multiple years of F1s, so I don’t expect that to have radically changed. Seems fair enough to me, but I’m happy to try them and see if that’s still the case. 

Turtlewax is still sh*t though :p 

The Supersport is a totally new segment for the company, the eagle F1 was never a UHP therefore it's wrong to judge a Audi R8 by the character of an A6. 

I will take the opinion of the expert in the video over yourself.

Edited by davey_83

Were the old Eagle F1s not their equivalent of the old MPSS? 

And of course, you should always take the advice of an expert over one guy on an Internet forum. Just my thoughts on it, nothing else. :) 

No, it rivalled the Pilot Sport of the time. The new Supersport, R & RS are all new segments for the brand so would be unfair to compare with previous non UHP or non track tyres. What you are doing is rating a R35 GTR in relation to your experience with a Primera. Very nice to see finally Goodyear and Continental take points of Michelin.