MOT Emissions fail, forgot fault codes, DOH!

EcoFriendlyAL

HI, I had EML on about a month ago but put it down to really rough road over Telford area. Used the OBD2 reader and cancelled the codes, think they were for sensors? Light hasn't come back on since. Forgotten numbers and lost piece of paper. Car failed on emissions yesterday, tester suggests a leak or crack in exhaust. Mechanic is looking at it Monday so should hopefully find if there is a leak. I believe sensors cost a hundred quid so will put off buying one just on chance. Any thought on most likely sensor that may be at fault if not a leak?

Cheers

AL

P.S 350z 2004 about 60k miles

Edited by EcoFriendlyAL
forgot stuff

Probably a front sensor, however check the exhaust for leaks and also for a faulty cat.

If you have sport cats on, then remember that the temps have to be very high to get through emissions.

Genuine New Nissan sensors are in stock if required (avoid aftermarket)

Alex.:)

1 hour ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

IMG_20191125_0001.jpg.3502f119e8bbe72cb2a2c91d0abe5983.jpgIMG_20191125_0002.jpg.61e0f829fbb1c132e90c4c2deeb4cf14.jpgI was wondering if anyone could shed light and maybe a cause from this info? Cheers

Do you know what the code was for the EML?

I had EML come up which was telling me it was the precat sensor, but turned out to be a very old, cracked and rusty exhaust gasket between the manifold and cats. Replaced them and EML went off.

I would suggest checking the exhaust thoroughly for any leaks.

Get it on a ramp, switch the car on ( have a cold exhaust so you dont burn yourself ) and feel around all the flanges where the exhaust pieces join. Also look around the cats to make sure they don't have cracks in it etc.

hello Fijifixit, I deleted the codes and lost the peice of paper that they were written on. Just remember it being two codes, the same number but one with a P, i.e both left and right and think it said front sensor and possibly exhaust???? Mechanic will get it on the ramp today and have a good look.

Thanks

AL

1 hour ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

hello Fijifixit, I deleted the codes and lost the peice of paper that they were written on. Just remember it being two codes, the same number but one with a P, i.e both left and right and think it said front sensor and possibly exhaust???? Mechanic will get it on the ramp today and have a good look.

Thanks

AL

Have a read through this post. 

We both has P1283 which was related to the Bank 2 passenger side sensor. Both of our issues was regarding an exhaust leak that was throwing the sensor code.

Hope it helps :)