Reverse hard to engage

Heardy

Hi all. 

I have noticed recently that pushing down on the gear stick to get it into reverse has been getting stiffer. 

Today there is barely any movement in it what so ever. Like to the point of feeling like nothing,  I've tried lightly pulling it up to see if it is stuck down but it doesn't seem to move. 

I can still get it into reverse but have also had it go into reverse without pressing down (Into reverse,  straight out and almost immediate shifted back into reverse).

Any ideas?

Strange one:

Not a big job to remove the gear stick for an inspection, but you will have to get under the car to remove the one bolt that connects the stick to the gearbox shifter rod. The rest of the stuff is accessed from inside the car.

There is a large coil spring in there which provides the resistance when pressing the stick down.

Remember and adjust the top shifter plate correctly on reassembly otherwise you will have selection issues.

53 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Strange one:

Not a big job to remove the gear stick for an inspection, but you will have to get under the car to remove the one bolt that connects the stick to the gearbox shifter rod. The rest of the stuff is accessed from inside the car.

There is a large coil spring in there which provides the resistance when pressing the stick down.

Remember and adjust the top shifter plate correctly on reassembly otherwise you will have selection issues.

Cheers Alex

Seems strange to me too, just wondering if there is some crap in there or if the spring has seen better days. 

I sort of remember something about putting it into 5th or 6th to align the plate before bolting it back up?