Quote me FANTASTIC

ATTAK Z

Good luck there Colin.I'm sorry to tell you I wasted 3 hours of my life about ten years ago answering questions and waiting in one of their local offices only to get a quote from them ( for a Merc 350 CLK convertible) that was three times what I was paying at the time !

3 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Good luck there Colin.I'm sorry to tell you I wasted 3 hours of my life about ten years ago answering questions and waiting in one of their local offices only to get a quote from them ( for a Merc 350 CLK convertible) that was three times what I was paying at the time !

Probably before they discovered tinternet and the competition! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 10:11, rabbitstew said:

Well, just got off the phone with LV and they confirm that they no longer insure Porsche 911`s (or range rovers for some reason).

Well I've just discovered they don't insure Ferraris either. Whilst I was on the phone asking if they'd quote me for swapping the 911 for a 360 (I've seen a nice red one I'm interested in :) ), I asked them why they wouldn't insure a 911 Turbo. The guy on the phone confirmed that they refuse some Porsches.

On 05/12/2019 at 21:53, ATTAK Z said:

Well I've just discovered they don't insure Ferraris either. Whilst I was on the phone asking if they'd quote me for swapping the 911 for a 360 (I've seen a nice red one I'm interested in :) ), I asked them why they wouldn't insure a 911 Turbo. The guy on the phone confirmed that they refuse some Porsches.

Very odd when last year they snapped my hand off and were cheaper than all the other companies.  Still, ive long since given up on "insurance company logic".

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2019 at 11:37, rabbitstew said:

This year cheapest i've found is £280 for a stock 997 turbo or £550 incl mods.

I've been looking for a quote for a 997 Turbo today - where did you get those quotes from ? ... and I am right in saying you're up to about 600 bhp ?

On 13/11/2019 at 20:27, bobbyboy said:

Not sure if it's too late for you, but I've just renewed my insurance in the last week, and saved a fortune, so it may be a benefit to you seeing as you've another car yet to insure.

Normally, I had 7 bikes on a classic policy, 2 cars on different classic policies, and a modern runaround car on a normal policy.

I've just taken out a multi vehicle policy with Footman James, everything's on it, all agreed values bar the modern one, £515 all in.

Worth a look.

Did that include any mods if fitted ?

On 26/11/2019 at 11:05, Ebized said:

I'm going to give NFU a go at renewal time - heard good reports, but no idea what they may charge.

https://www.nfumutual.co.uk/insurance/motor-insurance/car-insurance/

I changed to them for my commercial vehicles, 2 trucks, 1 van and a Jeep. Saved me over 1200 quid from my previous company that stupidly I had shown years of loyalty to. Going to try them for my R33 and imprezza when they're due

11 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

I've been looking for a quote for a 997 Turbo today - where did you get those quotes from ? ... and I am right in saying you're up to about 600 bhp ?

Good choice!!!! If you want to know anything about them then just drop me a PM. I've done 40k miles in mine now over last 4 years and spent quite a bit of time setting mine up for handling/performance.

I ended up back with Admiral this year, £385 fully comp incl. all mods. 

Mines got 585bhp at the wheels which is about 650bhp at the engine depending upon the rolling road & transmission losses etc. They are cracking cars. The 996 turbo is also worth looking at. The prices on those seem to be dropping slightly atm again - mid £20k is a bargain for the performance. 

Just had an insurance renewal quotation today which boiled my blood, ...I really just don't get how they can justify the BS prices. 

Two years ago I joined my current insurer, was around £450 per annum for the first year, ...last year they quoted me around £150 more so I shopped around found a cheaper quote and rang them to cancel. Obviously when I rang to cancel suddenly they were able to drop the premium significantly. 

So this year I was hoping not to have to faff around looking at quotes etc and to just stay with my current insurer for a 3rd year. Well that's not going to happen as they sent me a renewal price and with fees it is £966 odd. WTF!! 

Unbelievable. They can go forth and multiply. :angry: 

I feel your pain, I don't think Ive ever had a reasonable renewal quote. Insurance companies seem to rely on you not giving it much thought and chance charging whatever they feel like.

It's sad because if they actually offered competitive renewal prices people would be much more likely to show loyalty to one company :shrug:

Edited by Jack94
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack94 said:

I feel your pain, I don't think Ive ever had a reasonable renewal quote. Insurance companies seem to rely on you not giving it much thought and chance charging whatever they feel like.

It's sad because if they actually offered competitive renewal prices people would be much more likely to show loyalty to one company :shrug:

It just seems to be a very odd way of doing business to me, offer new clients a very low price, then jack it up in subsequent years hoping that clients wont shop around and leave you. 

I was with Admiral for about 6 years. Every year their renewal was ridiculously higher than what other companies were quoting, and every year after ringing to cancel they happily dropped the price back down to match the other companies. Last year they just couldnt match LV and so I went with LV. Then come my renewal this time around LV have decided they dont want to insure my car, so I shop around and guess whose the cheapest? Yep, Admiral again. :lol:

• Haha 1

Its bonkers if you ask me.....

1 hour ago, rabbitstew said:

It just seems to be a very odd way of doing business to me, offer new clients a very low price, then jack it up in subsequent years hoping that clients wont shop around and leave you. 

I was with Admiral for about 6 years. Every year their renewal was ridiculously higher than what other companies were quoting, and every year after ringing to cancel they happily dropped the price back down to match the other companies. Last year they just couldnt match LV and so I went with LV. Then come my renewal this time around LV have decided they dont want to insure my car, so I shop around and guess whose the cheapest? Yep, Admiral again. :lol:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Seems to be a business model that works, given it an industry wide practice, so there must be enough people about who don’t shop around still. 

Definitely. I wonder what % of people just assume its the best price & pay. I know my parents happily paid NFU`s renewal price for about 20 years on their cars without checking.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Seems to be a business model that works, given it an industry wide practice, so there must be enough people about who don’t shop around still. 

5 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

Definitely. I wonder what % of people just assume its the best price & pay. I know my parents happily paid NFU`s renewal price for about 20 years on their cars without checking.

That's the sad thing though, ...they pray on people. It's a bl**dy disgusting practice.

My mother in her 70's didn't know any better and thought because she's being loyal to this company they're giving her the best price around so just renewed each year (also she didn't know about comparison websites). 

It was only when I spotted an insurance renewal letter and started talking to her about it that I found out the price she was paying. At the time I had my supercharged (436Bhp) Zed and her insurance on a 1.6 Ford Focus was double mine!!

17 hours ago, GMballistic said:

That's the sad thing though, ...they pray on people. It's a bl**dy disgusting practice.

My mother in her 70's didn't know any better and thought because she's being loyal to this company they're giving her the best price around so just renewed each year (also she didn't know about comparison websites). 

It was only when I spotted an insurance renewal letter and started talking to her about it that I found out the price she was paying. At the time I had my supercharged (436Bhp) Zed and her insurance on a 1.6 Ford Focus was double mine!!

Thats pretty much identical to what I found. My dad was paying more to insure his Skoda than I was paying on my modified Porsche 997 turbo. They should introduce something like they made the energy suppliers do - they have to let you know if you are on the cheapest tarrif or something when they send you your bill.

• Like 1

Any such directive would have to be very specifically worded, to the extent that it may be overly restrictive and therefore counterproductive, as many insurance companies claim that the ridiculous renewal hikes are predicated by the underwriters; yet when a customer phones up to discuss quotes they are able to check your details against alternative underwriters and find cheaper cover. Apparently, and arguably rightly, they are not permitted to make any assumptions about your circumstances (I.e. that all your details are still the same) when contacting underwriters for quotes but the underwriter of the existing quote can make assumptions themselves at renewal time.

I say this is arguably right because, yes it’s annoying and leads to this ridiculous practice, but imagine if you needed to change any detail of your policy (annual mileage for example) and the insurance company told your underwriters it’s the same as last year. It opens up a whole can of worms around who is then legally liable for the misinformation in the event of any dispute; you’ve not told them that, after all.

To implement such a seemingly simple directive would actually mean fundamentally restructuring the entire industry, likely at some considerable cost  and disruption (every single contract would have to be re-written) which, frankly, would not be footed by the industry. 

And where would you stop? Would you enforce all supermarkets to always give you the best prices, as after all food is pretty important? Or pubs to tell you to go to Wetherspoons as it’s the cheapest? Both of those are arguably more important than car insurance after all...

On 09/02/2020 at 09:55, Ekona said:

And where would you stop? Would you enforce all supermarkets to always give you the best prices, as after all food is pretty important? Or pubs to tell you to go to Wetherspoons as it’s the cheapest? Both of those are arguably more important than car insurance after all...

Difference is the supermarkets don't charge some old lady £100 extra for her weekly shop because she is vulnerable or naive. Just because it's legal doesn't mean its right.

No, they charge the price they can make a profit from and stay competitive, people are always free to shop around. Hooking people in with a cheap price then increasing it is nothing new in any sector. I mean I can see your point of view completely and it is frustrating when it jumps up, but I personally don’t feel this is something I’d want governmental involvement in at all. 

They all send out letters saying what the new premium will be, I’m not sure they can do much more than inform their customers about what the price will be then let them make their own minds up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RickyZ said:

Difference is the supermarkets don't charge some old lady £100 extra for her weekly shop because she is vulnerable or naive. Just because it's legal doesn't mean its right.

I agree. My fathers car insurance was with Saga, a company that promotes itself as looking after the welfare of the elderly, and I was shocked when I saw how much he was paying for car insurance.

Guess us 'youngsters' (ahem, 57) have a responsibility for looking out for our parents and other elderly or vulnerable around us.

• Like 1