Difference in sound Invidia vs HFC vs Stock (video)

The Dreamer

So, looking at many YouTube videos, I often find it difficult to tell just how much louder one system is vs another. It seems, to me at least, that when people are shooting these videos, they are letting the camera's 'auto volume level' look after the recording, even when using external microphones.

To me, this defeats the whole point of the video, as all sound will be biased towards an 'average' volume that the camera decides on.

Anyway, as I start my journey towards having a full HFC/Invidia set up, I thought I'd record it.

This is just the first step, as I had the HFC's installed yesterday, and I have to say that the extra 'bark' just this gives, was a surprise to me.

I'm not a videographer, so excuse the poor quality - indeed the 'drive by's' are a bit of a non-event - but the cold start and pull away from standstill, show off the difference in both sound and volume quite well.

The clips were shot on an Olympus LM-20, which is primarily an audio recorder, that just happens to be able to shoot a touch of video too (though in relatively poor quality compared to modern cameras). The levels were fixed, and identical for each clip, so the volume change between clips is accurate.

I'll post an updated video when I install the Invidia.

Edited by The Dreamer
  • Like 1

A positive difference for sure and thanks for the video. :thumbs:

The bark really reminds me of the sound mine makes with my HFC's. It is a distinctive noise and I didn't realise that it was the HFC's that specifically made that noise until listening to your video. 

Looking forward to when the invidia is on too. B):D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee370Z said:

A positive difference for sure and thanks for the video. :thumbs:

The bark really reminds me of the sound mine makes with my HFC's. It is a distinctive noise and I didn't realise that it was the HFC's that specifically made that noise until listening to your video. 

Looking forward to when the invidia is on too. B):D

Yep, I hadn't really expected much of a difference at all. While I understood the stock Cats weren't allowing the system to breathe as easily, I didn't realise that they were also attenuating the sound as much as they obviously do.

Pleasantly surprised!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Z4ZORRO said:

Great vids. Look forward to seeing the difference the invidia makes.

Currently waiting for my invidia to arrive too. 

Thanks. Me too!

My Invidia is here - just need to clear out the garage to have somewhere dry to fit it! A bigger task than it seemed at first glance, as the bottom garage needs clearing first, to be able to store my lads sailing gear - which is occupying the main garage, where I want to work.

So basically, all the garages need clearing out and reshuffling - enough space for four or five cars, and how many cars do we actually have in a garage (any garage) - yep, none! Just a load of junk/sailing/DIY gear. A first world problem for sure, but it's still a problem! :doh:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2019 at 13:50, The Dreamer said:

Thanks. Me too!

My Invidia is here - just need to clear out the garage to have somewhere dry to fit it! A bigger task than it seemed at first glance, as the bottom garage needs clearing first, to be able to store my lads sailing gear - which is occupying the main garage, where I want to work.

So basically, all the garages need clearing out and reshuffling - enough space for four or five cars, and how many cars do we actually have in a garage (any garage) - yep, none! Just a load of junk/sailing/DIY gear. A first world problem for sure, but it's still a problem! :doh:

My invidia is now fitted, excellent bit of kit, very well made.

I would be interested to hear what yours is like with the HFC's too. (Which brand did you go for ?)