Br-ex-ilection 2019

coldel

Well someone had to start a thread right...

1. No swearing

2. No abuse

3. Keep it clean

:teeth:

I have to say I had gotten Brexhausted with the WA so a nice distraction to see our House of Calamities, I mean Commons focus on something slightly aside of it, although it is intrinsically what will drive it.

Which is actually a shame, I would prefer we got Brexit done and we vote for a party to run the country for the next 5 years rather than vote for the MP Personality of the Year in terms of doing a WA.

• Haha 2

I don't get Corbyn's speech today. He's said that he'll sort Brexit out in 6 months because he'll get a new deal (!) and everyone will agree to it because they'll do a referendum. So let me get this straight:

We had a referendum, people voted out.

We had a deal. No-one wanted it.

We had another deal. No-one wanted that either.

So now he's going to magic up another deal, and assuming parliament all say yes to it (AHAHAHAHAHA) then that goes to a referendum. 

Is he for real? It would need a massive Labour swing to get something like that done, and that's not remotely likely, so we'd be back to arguing the toss again for another few years. As for Labour's other plans, they're full of bright and bushy ideas (many of which I'm for) paid for by magic money tree again (which I'm not). Corbyn still won't even say whether he'd back Leave or Remain on this new deal he's going to get, nor whether there will be an option for No Deal Brexit on it. It's all so shady, and quite simply he's missing the point of this election by some margin. Hell, at least the LDs are planting their flag firmly in the ground on the matter.

• Like 1

This whole mess lies fairly and squarely at Labours’ door.  An unelectable leader, half the shadow cabinet unelectable to boot.  Sat on the fence for 4 years and still bumbling on, what a mess they’re in.

Some form of Brexit is inevitable, however the type of Brexit led by Johnson that we are likely to get is unpalatable if it leads to a conservative majority railroading it through, which will be more damaging than what their near 10 years of ‘austerity’ has achieved, to get us to this point.

Villains and braggarts on both sides of the argument, but with one glaring certainty, there is NO better deal than the one we already have.  The one that is known, the one that can be more influenced on the inside than from the outside.

So bad is our countries position, that this country will take decades to recover from the continuing gamble perpetuated by the hedge fund and ex hedge fund managers, now running or wanting to run this country.

Despairing times, I feel, IMO

Another caveat for this thread, no links allowed please 

• Like 3

I know it’s a sign of getting old but can anyone remember the mid/late 90s and early 00s

The music was great, football was at its peak balance between skill and still having proper tackling, cars were getting out of the awful 80s styles with loads of cool jap stuff, movies were great and had actual film footage in amongst CGI, and you might not like the government of the day but they got some stuff actually done and weren’t overtly evil and did more than one thing at a time...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

I know it’s a sign of getting old but can anyone remember the mid/late 90s and early 00s

The music was great, football was at its peak balance between skill and still having proper tackling, cars were getting out of the awful 80s styles with loads of cool jap stuff, movies were great and had actual film footage in amongst CGI, and you might not like the government of the day but they got some stuff actually done and weren’t overtly evil and did more than one thing at a time...

Absolutely Stu, and snowflakes were exactly that ........snow flakes. Nowadays days modern living and politics are constant non event groundhog days and childish bickering that achieves absolutely nowt :blush:

• Like 2

Amazing that the bickering over brexit still takes precedent over say, parts of the globe becoming uninhabitable for human life. Or issues around global overpopulation. So on and so forth. No, lets focus on electing someone who can charm their way through a withdrawal...the mind boggles.

• Like 2

I still think this was just an experiment drawn up by someone who thought The Trueman Show was a documentary!!!  

Dumbing down, social media and the requirement of filling 24 hour news chanels with content, helps to breed all this rubbish. Far right parties/ groups have noticed this and use it to their advantage.

Feed people enough junk and they will believe it!  Strangely they DID believe it and look how the country has suffered and will continue to suffer for decades.

My 9 year old daughters future is affected by this cr@p! I get so angry with the politicians and the press, even the BBC have dumbed down on their news website. Have you noticed when something happens no matter what ,they feel the need to have an explanation thread for 5 year olds? 

News story ' Plane crashes over the sea'

Thread following the article.

'Why do planes crash?'  then goes into 101 things about why planes crash and what can be done about it but with a childlike simplicity! 

We have covered politicians already but they forget why they were elected to serve the people not themselves.

I am just glad Spitting Image is coming back,  sadly watching the news already covers their humourous stories which are sometimes so hard to believe you think it was just a TV show but we cant see the cameras yet? :surrender:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coldel said:

Amazing that the bickering over brexit still takes precedent over say, parts of the globe becoming uninhabitable for human life. Or issues around global overpopulation. So on and so forth. No, lets focus on electing someone who can charm their way through a withdrawal...the mind boggles.

Because right now Brexit will affect us all more dramatically in the near future than anything else. It’s critical, and I think that it’s only maybe in the last few months that it’s starting to sink in with the population. 

• Like 1

Its also a one hit decision, one we leave there aint no going back so we have to get it right. 

We do have choices though:
The party of mentalists with the @*!# deal that are currently faking videos and claiming they havent said stuff they very definitely did.
The  party with Grandad Steptoe as leader, who have dreamland policies based on a magical money tree and a totally arse about face approach to Brexit 
The minority parties, who generally will do good things and keep us in the EU but have already ruled out coalition so its a wasted vote. 
Or Farage, who gets an inordinate amount of airtime for someone who is scared to stand for election himself and has no policies other than a Hard Brexit, which parliament have already legislated against. 

Wake me up when its over. 

• Haha 2

I guess the point is that by voting based on brexit is ignoring other stuff that will affect you hugely in the next 5 years and beyond - like Doc says if you align your brexit view with Labour, are you willing to put up with the 70s style nationalisation, subsequent debt levels, strikes, so on and so forth? 

• Like 1

Youve hit the nail clean through the wood there Col, exactly my predicament. 

I think old man Steptoe is absolutely off his head with his spending promises but I think Brexit would be the worst thing to happen to this country since WW2. 
It was almost looking good when our MP Heidi Allen (defected from Tories, staunch remainer) joined the Libdems but shes not running at next election after getting harassed.  

If I have to vote for Labour to stay in the EU I will but Ill be having a long shower straight after polling. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/11/2019 at 16:50, docwra said:

I think old man Steptoe is absolutely off his head with his spending promises but I think Brexit would be the worst thing to happen to this country since WW2. 
It was almost looking good when our MP Heidi Allen (defected from Tories, staunch remainer) joined the Libdems but shes not running at next election after getting harassed.  

If I have to vote for Labour to stay in the EU I will but Ill be having a long shower straight after polling. :lol:

I voted remain but I'd rather shoot myself in the face than give my vote to Corbyn.  Decisions, decisions hey!

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 12:20, Ekona said:

Because right now Brexit will affect us all more dramatically in the near future than anything else. It’s critical, and I think that it’s only maybe in the last few months that it’s starting to sink in with the population. 

You could apply the same logic to austerity, that is having and has already had impact on people's lives, more so even than Brexit. Yet it struggles for screen time and column inches compared to Brexit because it's not as sensational, divisive and it only effects a portion of society that major media outlets are not especially interested in courting.

On 06/11/2019 at 16:50, docwra said:

It's been a while since it's been easy to pick the option you like, instead of the one you dislike the least. Across the whole political spectrum.

I am in the Lib dem court but due to the complete SH#@* mess we are in and the little airtime/chance they have to become front runners I have to vote tactically ...... in Scotland..... even if I don't want their end game. *just now* (If borris gets a majority then I am all for independance.)

I do think Scottish independence is inevitable. Boris will win now that Farage is out the picture in 60 odd constituencies so a free run at it. 

I'm in Richmond which gives me the option of Lib Dems (I don't agree with unilateral reversal of Brexit) or the Tories (Zac bloody Goldsmith who is a despisable human being and I dont agree with how Boris is trying his best at forcing a no deal brexit, his inherent racism and his ties with scum like JRM).