Subaru BRZ Vs 350z. Quite close!

HEADPHONES

3 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Or it proves the 350Z is 

Weight has always been the 350Z and 370Z's achilles heel and it certainly hampers them a bit. 

I need to have a go in a GT86 to see what they are like because I really like the recipe of them. Love the fact that they only weigh around 1200kg as well. 

Edited by Lee370Z

Experience from my colourful past is that any car that does 0-60mph in mid 6 seconds can race a car that does it in mid 5's. Mid 7's with mid 6' sec, mid 5's with mid 4's for example. Doesn't mean the slower car is ever going to win, but reaction times can bring the slower car into play however the outcome will always be the same. 

All about the driver tbh, and on UK roads it really doesn't make much of a difference if you're in a 160bhp MX5 or a 500bhp Gallardo: Just ask my best mate from our Wales trip the other weekend...

On a twisty track like they used above, there's never going to be much in it. Buy a car because it's fun and you want it, not because you win a p*ssing contest over which is faster. 

• Like 3

The GT86 was slightly quicker than the 350Z around the Top Gear test track too. I actually dismissed the GT86(I'm a big fan overall of them) when I was looking to buy my 370Z, thinking that I'd find the GT86 a bit underwhelming in the performance stakes...I was very wrong it seems! 

20 minutes ago, Ekona said:

All about the driver tbh, and on UK roads it really doesn't make much of a difference if you're in a 160bhp MX5 or a 500bhp Gallardo: Just ask my best mate from our Wales trip the other weekend...

On a twisty track like they used above, there's never going to be much in it. Buy a car because it's fun and you want it, not because you win a p*ssing contest over which is faster. 

I'd very much like to see that dash cam footage if available, love the Welsh A/B roads.

Don't have a dash cam in the MX-5 sadly. God bless the little car though when it's pouring with rain, I slowed to 30mph and whacked the manual roof up quickly to stop getting wet: Mark had to stop the Lambo, put the brakes on and wait like a berk as the auto roof did its thing in about 15 secs :lol: :lol: :lol:  He got drenched!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Also quicker around the ol TG test track than a e46 M3......

That is a surprise then given how well rated the e46 is in the handling department.

I can see me getting one at some stage in the future I reckon, because they remind me quite a bit of my old S14a 200SX(I absolutely loved that car once I'd modded it to 250bhp) minus the Turbo. 

Having had a 350z & now own  a gt86 I personally would have the  gt86  every time. Even as stock they feel so much more nimble & fly through the Rev range much quicker. Add a turbo/ supercharger and they come to life.

Also a damn sight cheaper to add power than the 350z.

Edited by lmc
  • Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 00:13, Flashback said:

Would be great to get @SuperStu to comment as he has the best real world experience of both.

In my opinion, the Z is a chunk quicker (stock v stock) in the real world; it’s all bags of torque in most gears and tons of grip, any proper circuit (with decent straights) would see the Zed stretch its legs. You probably shouldn’t be driving the Toybaru, at the point where it becomes a real pleasure to drive, on the highway (unless its on the Primacies!) whereas the Zed gave me more smiles per mile just GT’ing around in a bit more comfort, stretching its legs across European motorways. In the Alps though, I was pleased to be in the BRZ. I love it because its so nimble and neutral and you can pedal it pretty hard on a B road without really worrying about your licence. The seats are great and the driving position is perfection. But the BRZ really does need a few mods to bring it to life though (better rubber, headers, exhaust, remap), where as the Zed is really nice right out of the box and has more presence. I did some drift taster stuff in the Zed and once you get a feel for the bulk, its still incredibly sharp even with a few extra KGs. I’ve been very lucky to own them both. 

It’s a real personal preference thing, I’d recommend both to anyone, so long as you drove each one before choosing. The Zed community can’t be beaten though :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 05/11/2019 at 18:27, Ekona said:

LOL :lol:....been saying this for ages. There will always be a faster fish.