Not driving the car over winter, should I disconnect the battery?

MartinW

I recently bought a 2nd 350z as a track car.

It's not moved for about a month, I just went out to start it up and the battery is dead.

I have had it plugged into a solar powered trickle charger through the obd port but I guess that's not enough.

I don't plan on driving the car for a few months now so what's the best plan of action here?

Can I just leave it as is then come back and jump start it again in Jan / Feb, should I disconnect the battery or something else?

The car is kept outside and I have no way of plugging in a proper trickle charger so I don't think that's on option.

Thanks in advance

If your door locks work with the key, park it up and remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger in your garage until such times as you want to start using the car again.

Jump starting a very flat battery that has been totally discharged, that has been sitting for a few months will not work I am afraid.

Alex is right, sadly letting batteries go flat just kills them and you'll be spending a fortune on buying a new battery every year. If you cant plug it in then removing it is the way to go and buy yourself a decent charger.

Ctek chargers are the way to go, they simulate use and keep the battery in top condition. Me and my brothers cars have them plugged in all the time they are not in use and haven't had any issues for years and years. Most car storage places have rows and rows of the things!!

• 1 month later...

A charger is really good even if the car is driven but just infrequently and shorter trips.

My wife's car only does a few short trips a week.

5-10 min a time.

I'll hook it upto a charger a few times a year to fully charge.

Same with our family car which is only driven Friday and Saturday.

The batteries in all of our 3 cars are around 8yrs old and still going strong.

I've been using this cheap AA one for years.

Allegedly senses the battery condition similar to a Cteck and adjusts the charging accordingly until full and then switches to trickle maintenance mode.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2

2 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

I've been using this cheap AA one for years.

Allegedly senses the battery condition similar to a Cteck and adjusts the charging accordingly until full and then switches to trickle maintenance mode.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2

That is the one I've got currently on my 370Z and it works a treat. :thumbs: I've had it a few years now and I used it on my previous cars when they've not been used much. 

I used to use an acumate on my Cerbera but that was more expensive. Everyone does rate a Ctek though for sure.