Market Research - would you buy this?

blazemaguire

Just putting it out there,  Apologies if I'm breaking a rule here, but it's not really 'for sale' yet... just seeing if its worth selling!

Designed and Knocked this up on my 3D printer for the Z, then got a bit carried away.

Would anyone be willing to pay for this as product if I were to make more?  if so, how much would you deem fair?

Currently It fits a Huwawei P30 Pro, but I've designed it in such a way that I just need to tweek 3 dimensions in the CAD model to fit any smart phone (length, width height)

As you can see it slides onto the cubby hole, without any fixings (rubber mounts to stop it marking the surface) - Stll opens with the cubby hole etc - Simply slides in.   All feedback, positive and negative welcome.   I'm well happy with it on a personal level, but wondered if others would like.   I'm aware I could give this away as a free CAD/3D print design on thingiverse.com as well.... but you know, gotta keep that fuel tank full of 98RON, so a few extra pennies don't hurt if there's a market!

If it's something people did want, I might branch out to other vehicles.

IMG_20191101_104909.jpg

IMG-20191101-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20191101-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191101-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20191101-WA0004.jpg

Edited by blazemaguire
spelling
  • Like 2

Hi buddy,

I think personally that it is a great idea, as lots of people ask how to fix phones up for things like maps and stuff. It look nice and small and not too intrusive. I like the Z logo as well. as for price...Well what would you price it at really as its your concept and design. Only you know how much it costs you to design and make. But overall cracking idea!

Price I've no real idea.  Hence the asking!  When you factor in it's a 7 hour print, electricity, tweaking the CAD model each time, assembly, postage etc - hard to know.  You can buy a normal stick to the windscreen phone holder for about £10-15, so I was thinking in the £20  ball park.  That would make it worth the time, but to some, that's a lot of money for a bit of plastic!

Who knows!

I like it - the Brodit phone mounts sell for around £20 so that sounds about right for this.

Only thing I don't like about is it points straight into the car, it would be much more useful to face the driver slightly.  Would that be possible?

The HR/facelift's also have a slightly revised cubby so I'm not sure if it would fit

Thanks for the feedback - All useful.  It's easy to tweak it to have a lean left or right, but I found dead ahead was fully visible from a drivers point of view.

If someone near me (Aldershot) owns a HR and fancies me taking a measurement, I might make you a freebie as a thanks!

Ok.

Well, I'm gonna make a few and send them out as cheap early orders

PM me if you want one - Will do a hefty discount for first 5 to place orders.    Admin - please move this if it's now become a for Sale thread.

Was going to start a new post but would be nice to see if I get any come back via PMs.  If I do, I'll set it up legitimately. - Please let me know what I should be doing.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2019 at 14:13, Kryptek49 said:

I like it - the Brodit phone mounts sell for around £20 so that sounds about right for this.

I paid £57.67 for the Brodit kit for my RX-7, you need the car-specific clip that attaches to the car, then you need the phone-specific cradle that attaches to the clip.  And you have to screw one into the other yourself with no holes pre-drilled (!)

So I would say that, if this truly attaches securely to the car interior, and holds the phone securely yet lets it slide in and out easily, then I would say it was well worth £20.

Personally I'm not sure I'd buy one myself right now since I've got an Android auto headunit and can leave my phone in the cubbyhole and use the phone on the headunit screen, but if I was wanting to hold it up front, something like this would be v attractive.

Yeah thanks, and apologies not sure if it's the same person but an admin contacted me via PM. My mistake. I'm looking at paying the fee, just wanted to see if I had any come backs first, otherwise I'm out of pocket before I've even started on an idea that might have no teeth. 

Thanks Rob. Have received the holder for my iPhone XR. Fits perfectly as I provided dims with case. Rob also provided me with extra fittings so the phone is angled towards me. Works perfectly and looks very good. Highly recommend over all the other generic holders as it’s very stable and specific to this car. 

62FB45AD-E3CE-45E8-9821-15960EE62A35.jpeg

Edited by Lolli pop
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

Since kicking this off I've since sold my 350z... (I think the young lad who brought it might be on the forum)  I won't be checking in as often now, so will miss any PMs. I can potentially make these still if people want, though I only actually sold a handful through the forum - if this appears in later searches and someone is desperate for one, I've got them up on ebay and etsy for a while before I condemn it with the rest of my failed 'get out of teaching' schemes! 

Otherwise, so long and thanks for all the advice over the years.   

Rob

11 hours ago, blazemaguire said:

Hi all, 

Since kicking this off I've since sold my 350z... (I think the young lad who brought it might be on the forum)  I won't be checking in as often now, so will miss any PMs. I can potentially make these still if people want, though I only actually sold a handful through the forum - if this appears in later searches and someone is desperate for one, I've got them up on ebay and etsy for a while before I condemn it with the rest of my failed 'get out of teaching' schemes! 

Otherwise, so long and thanks for all the advice over the years.   

Rob

got an eBay link?