induction kits

nissanjuke

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 20:01, nissanjuke said:

whats the best air induction kit to buy at a fair price and is easy to fit  B)

I thought the general consensus was that the stock system was better than any aftermarket - unless you're going FI.

Heat soak is cited as a concern with most of the aftermarket kits, as they tend to be made from metal; and the stock system has few, if any, restrictions anyway.

Best bang for the buck would be a pair of decent drop in air filters.

Just going on what I've read.

Edited by The Dreamer

4 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

I thought the general consensus was that the stock system was better than any aftermarket - unless you're going FI.

Heat soak is cited as a concern with most of the aftermarket kits, as they tend to be made from metal; and the stock system has few, if any, restrictions anyway.

Best bang for the buck would be a pair of decent drop in air filters.

Just going on what I've read.

Yep.  My research pretty much resulted in the same conclusion.  Not worth the outlay.  Just get some decent drop-ins.

It depends what you mean by best? Performance, looking, sounding etc. 

A lot of people swap to a decent CAI (such as stillen) simply for the engine bay bling or because they want extra induction noise so if that's what your after then crack on. 

However as the guys have said, if you're after performance gains just stick with the standard setup and get yourself a couple of decent drop in filters. 

• 7 months later...

What is a good drop in filter? Are there any noticeable improvements, e.g. Acceleration, revving, a tinch more power? 

I'm currently stock at the moment, thinking of ways to increase the induction noise slightly. Wondering if a drop in would do the job? 

Edited by skyrapier

No drop in filter is going to give you so much of a gain that you'd really notice any difference sadly, however it should give you a tiny increase in performance. 

HKS, K&N and Cosworth are all good brands.

If it's just induction noise you're after you'd be better off with a pop charger or a CAI kit. 

Edited by Jack94
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi buddy take a look at this vid i found

Thanks for this! Really gd vid to see the difference in performance gains. :O

13 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

No drop in filter is going to give you so much of a gain that you'd really notice any difference sadly, however it should give you a tiny increase in performance. 

HKS, K&N and Cosworth are all good brands.

If it's just induction noise you're after you'd be better off with a pop charger or a CAI kit. 

Ah OK. A noob question then - what is a pop charger? :$

*Jumps on YouTube*

19 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

It's a short cone intake system from JWT-

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/JWT-NISSAN-370Z-09-DUAL-POP-CHARGER-INTAKE-SYSTEM.HTML

It's known for it's noise however because it draws in hot air from the engine bay it'll cost you a few bhp.

I had a pop charger for while on a 350 de sounded nice thought there was a improvement in power, but i am sure it was all placebo, i went back to factory airbox with a cosworth drop in with the volocity stack mode which is apparently the better set up for de only, but the car has never been mapped, so i have no evidence to prove this

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

It's a short cone intake system from JWT-

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/JWT-NISSAN-370Z-09-DUAL-POP-CHARGER-INTAKE-SYSTEM.HTML

It's known for it's noise however because it draws in hot air from the engine bay it'll cost you a few bhp.

Wow. This is brill. Thanks so much for the info! 

Would you say this is the best short cone intake system? 

23 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

I had a pop charger for while on a 350 de sounded nice thought there was a improvement in power, but i am sure it was all placebo, i went back to factory airbox with a cosworth drop in with the volocity stack mode which is apparently the better set up for de only, but the car has never been mapped, so i have no evidence to prove this

Ah that's good to hear, as I've heard induction systems in the Z doesn't make a difference in sound due to the stock system being good enough as it is. Cheers! 

19 hours ago, skyrapier said:

No idea I'm afraid, I've never really looked into it because I use the standard facelift airbox with a HKS filter. 

I'm sure there's plenty of info out there though if you do some research, or PM one of the traders on here (Tarmacsportz, Torqen etc). 

On 27/06/2020 at 16:20, skyrapier said:

Wow. This is brill. Thanks so much for the info! 

Ah that's good to hear, as I've heard induction systems in the Z doesn't make a difference in sound due to the stock system being good enough as it is. Cheers! 

Hi mate personally i wouldn't go for that, may look good and have heat shields but you will get heat soak and they will be pulling warm air

On 29/06/2020 at 10:47, ShortPaul said:

Hi mate personally i wouldn't go for that, may look good and have heat shields but you will get heat soak and they will be pulling warm air

Thanks for your perspective on this,  to be honest I could do with the increased induction noise. Sounds funny but I wouldn't mind losing a few horses for it as I won't be tracking or whatever. 

Anyone had any experiences with the JWT Pop Charger and if its worth the cost? Got my eyes on them :teeth:

I have a stillen gen 3 intake on mine and I do like the way it looks in the engine bay. I thought that it would increase the induction noise, but I can't hear any because my exhaust is so loud and it drowns it out! 

Does anyone with a quieter exhaust than mine know if the stillen set up does improve the induction noise over standard please? 

I have a Stillen Gen 3 CAI on mine as well. I dont have a mega loud exhaust, i have the Stillen Exhaust to match (its a great combination IMO). If you are standing at the front stationary when the car is revved then you can hear it have more of a growl. But driving along from inside the cabin it sounds maybe a bit more growly (but that may be placebo).

My conclusion would be that with a stock exhaust you would notice the difference in noise, however with an aftermarket exhaust you wont notice much of a difference, if any, with the the noise depending how loud the exhaust is.

I did it for the engine bling really. And because i got the car mapped, so all it could do is benefit the map :)

Edited by davidv10
  • Like 1