Nissan confirm 370z and Gtr replacement "coming soon"

The Bounty Bar Kid

The Tokyo Motorshow is about to start and all they got are two silly Cube concepts. They had 2 years to prepare something but nothing. Still another week but I doubt anything will happen.

The GTR wont be replaced for another 2 years. As its still selling. They chief engineer even went on to say 2023.....

The Zed mehh, Just go buy something else or get a Z4 lol

Alfonso Albaisa said a new Z is being worked on more than a year ago. 

Electrification is a terrible idea. I rather drive a petrol hybrid than a full electric sports car. They shouldn't bother with that. Infact I rather they dumped a 4 pot DCT than electric. 

Alfonso Albaisa post some infiniti stuff on Instagram usually around concepts but has never posted any Z related stuff lol

He claims theyll never abandon the Z line. But 10 years going 11 is slightly beyond their usual timeline...

Seems like they cant decide which way to go.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I don’t understand how a 370z with holes cut into the bumper being driven around means a new Z with a new engine is definitely, absolutely guaranteed to be on the way. Then again, neither does the article which itself refers to rumours. The only thing they’ve “confirmed” is that a replacement is in the works... although how and with whom that has been confirmed is as much a mystery as the new engine that they’ve assumed.

[/sceptical]

:lol::lol:

We didnt need Nissan to test a 3 liter V6 from a Q60. Thats already been done by Z1 and another indie. What they need to do is bring a new design unless they are planning to just engine swap the current model.

Apparently they are comparing their old 10 years platform to a current car (supra) to show how far theyve fallen. 

How about a new design before throwing in a twin turbo V6. 

Besides the Supra is around 375bhp with a DCT. Someones already converting one to a manual on Youtube

Edited by GranTurismoEra

My personal hunch is that given the global failure of Infiniti (withdrawal from Australia, EU makerts) that Nissan would more than likely explore the idea of putting the 3.0t engine from the Q50/60 into a 370z as this would save dev costs and time into developing a successor. IF there was to be a successor to the 370z then I think theres more than a 50% chance that the engine is the 3.0t perhaps without AWD, Drive by wire etc but with manual gearbox to keep costs down

They’ve been saying that for the last five years. It’s ain’t gonna happen.

Well, the GT-R will. But the Zed is dead. 

Have some faith Dan!  If they do bring the Zed back it needs to at least have 400 ponies to keep itself relevant but with all things modern it'll probably cost too much.  The Z's were cheap(ish) sports cars with big power but now 276-330ish just isn't cutting it.  (unless you have quattro and an auto lol)

My worry is there’s no market for one. The 370Z didn’t sell well despite being unique considering the competition. People these days want auto and 4WD, for me that’s not a Zed. Have they ever mated the 3L turbo to a manual ‘box? 

Assuming they did do another one that was all of the above, at what price would it come in at? And would anyone buy it over the competition of Audis and BMWs?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ekona said:

The 370Z didn’t sell well despite being unique considering the competition.

Given you never felt the same love for the 370 as you have done for the 350  - that's fine, but the fact that Nissan released the 370 at the end of 2009 when the financial melt-down was really biting and all car sales were taking a big hit, as many forget, was undoubtedly the primary reason for 370 sales getting nowhere near 350 sales.

Indeed, many 350 owners at the time did not enthuse about the 370 anyway (personally I found it a significant improvement over the 350 in everyday use compared to the 350), but as the years have passed by I have seen many doubters  'upgrade' to a 370, maybe to get a newer ZED or because it ticked more boxes than anything else the competition have/had to offer.

And having since owned a 4pot turbo auto/AWD (Merc A45) - yes the performance/grip off the shelf was mind-boggling, but it was simply too easy to drive hence why I have moved onto a Cayman that is far more driver involved.....albeit with a 4pot turbo.  Yeah, not what a true Porsche enthusiast would opt for maybe, but a combination of the chrono/sports exhaust certainly gives me the grin factor and turns heads when the rev needle spins round the clock...;):D

Be interesting to see if Nissan finally decides to produce a Z35 and hopefully in a format that maybe excites my juices enough to raid the piggy (pension) bank....... again :teeth:

• Like 1

The 3 Liter Q60 engine would need revision. It was mated to a manual gearbox for the orange SEMA car. Looks like it needed a lot of parts.

I think if Nissan bother they should work to create a car smaller than the 370Z as the 370Z is quite bulky size wise and maybe get the weight down

Weight down to 1400kg and a twin turbo 399hp with a revised engine would be good. Any hybrid tech etc would drive costs up.

A dct auto development would cost money too. Maybe get a 7G/9G auto gearbox from Mercedes instead?

Either way look at the new A45 S. £49,000. Thats where the price will be if you start getting a development list together. 

I’d be okay with them using the auto boxes from Merc, they’re decent units. Still not what I’d buy personally, but the market would prefer them so it would have a better chance of succeeding I think. 

A45 isn’t a competitor, but the A35 certainly is along with the Cayman, A110, TT, Golf R etc. It’s a full segment to be sure, and as PH said it would need to be more than just characterful for it to be a reasonable choice for many. 

Battling with the 350's rear end on a greasy morning whilst banging through the gears is what makes me fall in love with driving again everytime i go out in it.

I really have no time for modern day motors with their Auto fart boxes and two fat pedals. I want to drive when i take my car our for a drive, not be driven.

I appreciate there appears to be a market for it but going down this route with a potential replacement z motor would spoil it for me. People like their Golfs with their different letters on the boot lid and indentical styling to their Nans diesel version. I don't get it but throwing a Nissan into that pot is not enough for buyers to make the move over. I think Nissan need to come up with a fresh old school angle, keep it raw and make it appeal to proper driving enthusiasts.

It does make me appreciate the 350 more though, getting from A to B is an experience and that to me is what a Z car should be a bout.

• Like 4

On 30/10/2019 at 19:02, Ekona said:

My worry is there’s no market for one. The 370Z didn’t sell well despite being unique considering the competition. People these days want auto and 4WD, for me that’s not a Zed. Have they ever mated the 3L turbo to a manual ‘box? 

Assuming they did do another one that was all of the above, at what price would it come in at? And would anyone buy it over the competition of Audis and BMWs?

Totally agree I think this is the important   point most people have been missing. They left it a long time between generations , shift away from Coupes to hothatches/SUVs and living in the shadow of the GTR did no favours. 

If there is a replacement then I wouldn't be surprised they don't include a convertible for the above reason

Edited by hmale4yu