Aftermarket radio

Rossmurray350z

Hi everyone, 

I am looking into buying an aftermarket radio for my Z and I was looking at one on amazon and was wondering if when you buy a head unit do you need to buy anything extra or is that you need come with the head unit, like for example will i need to buy a bracket or will it come with the head unit or do i need to get taht seperatly ?

If anyone can help it much appreciated.

Thanks Ross.

If you have the bose sound system with steering wheel controls you will need a wiring loom that adapts the Nissan one to a regular ISO connector.

I'm selling one if you're interested, as well as the double din fascia, for £25 + postage

If you haven't got the bose amp you need a different wiring loom.

IMG_20191018_194612.jpg.83e6db8aaaacdd720a4deba8895b87ab.jpg.ab6801489bc9956f7259d6a5c840383c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2019 at 08:01, Kryptek49 said:

If you have the bose sound system with steering wheel controls you will need a wiring loom that adapts the Nissan one to a regular ISO connector.

I'm selling one if you're interested, as well as the double din fascia, for £25 + postage

If you haven't got the bose amp you need a different wiring loom.

IMG_20191018_194612.jpg.83e6db8aaaacdd720a4deba8895b87ab.jpg.ab6801489bc9956f7259d6a5c840383c.jpg

I could be interested in this. I haven’t got a double din system yet - will this work with any? Also where did you get the wiring loom from- Incartec or a n other? Do you have a double din you would part with?

30 minutes ago, Lolli pop said:

I could be interested in this. I haven’t got a double din system yet - will this work with any? Also where did you get the wiring loom from- Incartec or a n other? Do you have a double din you would part with?

Sorry, now sold.  The wiring loom you need is the Incartec one, loads of info available on here.  And yes the kind of fascia shown in my picture will fit any double din.

I did this recently.

Sony XAV-AX100 head unit (Apple carplay & Android auto, ~£250)

Incartec Sony adapter cable for steering wheel controls*

Incartec 350Z adapter cable for the stereo

Incartec 350Z double din facia*

* needed slight modifications to work

You need the facia (plastic rectangular trim piece) because the standard stereo is bigger than double DIN so the hole is too big, and the one that came with the stereo was too small for the hole.

I also removed the obsolete Bluetooth adapter from the rear storage box in the centre console, and threaded my USB cable down there so I can keep my phone in there and use it with the stereo screen via Android auto.

Was a bit of a job, but all installed and working 100% now including the steering wheel audio controls :)

I’m looking to put in an aftermarket double din and whilst on Opie Oils they are selling a wiring harness for Bose systems for a reasonable price, i.e. much less than the favoured incartec. It’s the  Celsus ISO Bose AIS2260. Has anyone used this and as mine doesn’t have steering wheel stereo controls (just cruise control on the right) will this be compatible? I understand I will need the dedicated trim- would I need anything else if I where to use the celsus loom?

On 08/11/2019 at 00:08, Samoht said:

I did this recently.

Sony XAV-AX100 head unit (Apple carplay & Android auto, ~£250)

Incartec Sony adapter cable for steering wheel controls*

Incartec 350Z adapter cable for the stereo

Incartec 350Z double din facia*

* needed slight modifications to work

You need the facia (plastic rectangular trim piece) because the standard stereo is bigger than double DIN so the hole is too big, and the one that came with the stereo was too small for the hole.

I also removed the obsolete Bluetooth adapter from the rear storage box in the centre console, and threaded my USB cable down there so I can keep my phone in there and use it with the stereo screen via Android auto.

Was a bit of a job, but all installed and working 100% now including the steering wheel audio controls :)

Sam- Did you have Bose originally? I find the Bose not great sound quality wise. Is it much better now with new system? And would you recommend the Sony?

My car's the base model, so no Bose.

I'm afraid I'm not really an audio person, so I can't tell you much about the sound quality. 

My goal was to get an Android Auto head unit for a reasonable price, so I could listen to podcasts from my phone and also have navigation displayed on a slightly larger screen.  Plan B would have been to try and get a line in and use a phone mount, but I was keen to try Android Auto.

The Sony was cheap and has done everything I wanted, so I'm pretty happy with it.  Sound quality seems fine to me, but I'm no audiophile.

I think if you want a straightforward Apple Carplay & Android Auto headunit from a known brand at a good price, the Sony XAV-AX100 is a really good shout, yes - but it depends what you want.  It doesn't have it's own built in nav nor DAB radio.  If you don't plan on plugging in your mobile, then I imagine you would probably be better getting something more audio-focused for the money.