If you replacing your 350z, what would you get next?

shueb.c

4 things

1) personally i wouldnt get rid I would just put a ls engine swap in the 350z. How ever you may have sacrifice a kidney not quite sure what the going rate is how ever am I sure you would find a buyer on  the Chinese black market.

2)TTRS with a decent revo map you would have a beast.

3) r34 gtst you have a beast with a upgraded turbo. 

4) if you go with option 1. You would have 1 kidney left. But you can live with one. 

Edited by Hrma
  • Haha 1

I’m selling my zed for a 2010ish TT RS looking around 16k for one with a few mods done and it gets the 0-60 down to 3.2secs and 4wd not the most power you could have for the budget you have available but will still be fun with that power and will best everything off the line that you come across every day. 

if you want the V8 get an R8, even the old ones still look amazing just a shame of the running costs 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukeA said:

I’m selling my zed for a 2010ish TT RS looking around 16k for one with a few mods done and it gets the 0-60 down to 3.2secs and 4wd . 

Would love to hear your opinion on the TTRS after you've had it for a few months, see if you enjoy/recommend swapping it around. 

Plenty power for the road, never gonna reach the top end without being reckless, 4WD means no issues in the winter so it's a win win in my eyes. 

Did go to look at a TTRS before buying my M3 and this is just my 2 cents...

I probably had a poor experience as the RS was a bit scruffy and a bit more money than my M3 (£3.5k), but I found I preferred the naturally aspirated "purer" driving experience and the V8 sound of course. The RS does everything exceptionally well but is almost a bit dull and soulless, if that can even be a thing in such a fast car!

The performance specs made me want one really bad and sure it's crazy quick, but I went down the route of a fast/tuneable turbo car before and it honestly doesn't mean you will have more FUN in it! I am definitely having much more fun in the M3 than what I ever would have in the TT and my previous modified 135i and found myself having a "connection" with it straight away, which is arguably what having a "drivers car" and being an "enthusiast" is all about...:blush:

IMHO the TT, even in manual form, is not a drivers car :shrug:

• Like 2

@reeceybeaney I hear you loud and clear, it is one reservation I have - the TT, the TT S and the TT RS, do I really expect them to be worlds apart? Probably not. You're right, the car is built for a different ilk of driver, and a 370Z fan isn't going to slot straight in. 

I guess I'm looking for something that I can daily, use a little more all year round and something that doesn't mean feel so retro at times. The VAG group have made my head turn so much that biting the bullet is closer now than ever before. 

Then again, I wanna see someone do it and report back 6 months in. That'd be my catalyst to get one. 

@Umster I just think VAG cars, in particular, aren't particularly soulful and although they kick out some good numbers and all seem lovely on paper... To own they're not always what you'd expect. A lot of people love them and get along with them great but I would expect a 350z/370z driver would not slot into driving something which is not involving and is a bit dull and dead to drive:lol:

I concluded for daily driving, build quality, modernisation and driving fun, buy something RWD and German... Potentially porsche and top of the range bmws etc

The boring person in me says something comfortable and practical, as the roads where I live are absolutely dire and the wife hates the Z because it's too low and too noisy (it really isn't)...

...but the kid in me lusts for another Fiat Coupe 20V turbo, the noise from the 5 Cylinder and the wooosh coming off the the throttle is something else.  Although it's comfortably less powerful than my current Z, the power just seemed more raw and somehow faster?! Meh!

1 hour ago, skate2create said:

...but the kid in me lusts for another Fiat Coupe 20V turbo, the noise from the 5 Cylinder and the wooosh coming off the the throttle is something else.  Although it's comfortably less powerful than my current Z, the power just seemed more raw and somehow faster?! Meh!

I had a 20V turbo some years back. Absolutely fantastic, definitely one of the best cars I have ever owned. It was boosted just a little more than stock and that seemed plenty in the way it delivered the power. Had the cloth 'turbo' seats which looked great, sprint blue with the bodykit so looked the business too. Very nose heavy with that 5 cylinder engine but more than made up for it in character.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

@Umster I just think VAG cars, in particular, aren't particularly soulful and although they kick out some good numbers and all seem lovely on paper... To own they're not always what you'd expect. A lot of people love them and get along with them great but I would expect a 350z/370z driver would not slot into driving something which is not involving and is a bit dull and dead to drive:lol:

I went from 370Z Nismo to RS3. The RS3 was amazingly fast, much quicker than the Nismo, more so than any figures would suggest. But to really enjoy the RS3 you had to be doing way beyond licence losing speeds - so most of the time you might as well just be driving a standard A3. Main pull of the RS3 was the joy of the 5 cylinder engine. Apart from the engine no real character hence me going back to a 350Z which you can enjoy all of the time.

Tempted by a Cayman but only because I promised myself a Porsche from childhood and its an itch I will need to scratch sometime. 

• Like 1

A lot of people feel that their next car has to be an upgrade in some way: faster, more powerful, more exclusive etc. Sometimes all you need is something different, and that’s enough. 

I went from a VXR220 to the 350Z, by the book that’s a step down but I just wanted something I’d never tried before. I went from the 911 to the 645, again a step down but it was so different it was brilliant. Now I’m in an MX5 NC and it might just be the second best car I’ve ever owned, behind the Porker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

I had a 20V turbo some years back. Absolutely fantastic, definitely one of the best cars I have ever owned. It was boosted just a little more than stock and that seemed plenty in the way it delivered the power. Had the cloth 'turbo' seats which looked great, sprint blue with the bodykit so looked the business too. Very nose heavy with that 5 cylinder engine but more than made up for it in character.

I had a Broom Yellow 20VT, Gtech chip, manual bleed valve and a forge BOV.. Those were the days!  Checking the MOT history it sadly met it's end due to rusty seat belt anchorage points in 2016 on 128k :(

17 hours ago, Umster said:

@reeceybeaney nah, I've driven the MK7.5 Golf R and it's perfect, it really does hit the spot. I never wanted to touch an automatic but that DSG has won me over, the virtual cockpit and the overall feel of it. 

I have a Mk7.5 Performance GTI and yeah :lol:

Difficult to get your head round how it does everything so well, they hold their value very well too.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Umster said:

Would love to hear your opinion on the TTRS after you've had it for a few months, see if you enjoy/recommend swapping it around. 

Plenty power for the road, never gonna reach the top end without being reckless, 4WD means no issues in the winter so it's a win win in my eyes. 

Having owned both for quite a few years I’d say go for a test drive. They’re both so different, and both have their positives and negatives. As others have said, the RS doesn’t have the same driving dynamics as the Zed, but is quicker (by a long way once mapped) and the build quality is much better. A big plus for the Audi is that 5 cylinder engine, which is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Perfect scenario is going to be having both the Golf R and the 370Z muhahaha. 

TTRS might be one for if I decide to ditch the daily beater and run one car all year round; the boot space in them is ridiculous as well as the overall build quality. 

23 hours ago, LukeA said:

I’m selling my zed for a 2010ish TT RS looking around 16k for one with a few mods done and it gets the 0-60 down to 3.2secs and 4wd not the most power you could have for the budget you have available but will still be fun with that power and will best everything off the line that you come across every day. 

if you want the V8 get an R8, even the old ones still look amazing just a shame of the running costs 

Manual R8 must be a nice drive, like a Manual Diablo. Okay not the same but still

23 hours ago, LukeA said:

Manual R8 must be a nice drive, like a Manual Diablo. Okay not the same but still

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

A lot of people feel that their next car has to be an upgrade in some way: faster, more powerful, more exclusive etc. Sometimes all you need is something different, and that’s enough. 

Also agree with this  :thumbs:  I'd had a few Bmw's and I found that with them(and most German cars) you had to be going really silly speeds before they got really enjoyable to drive. So I flipped it on its head and went for a MINI Cooper S, it isn't a fast car by any means with only 189bhp. Yet it has hit the spot for me because I've found it fun and it is a car that you can enjoy at more realistic speeds. 

Friend of mine picked me up last night in a car I'd not thought about before.

A LHD 07 Corvette with a 6L V8. 430bhp and 550ft'lbs. It shifted but was still refined enough around town, Sub 20k for a low milage import that's barely run in.

He was getting 17mph having a little play and apparently 30 on the motorway so not too far off the Zeds!