Wet seatbelt !

Dave6188

After extremely heavy downpours I pull my seatbelt out to pop it on and it's wet, the base of the floor is also wet behind the seat, this happens on both sides of the car. Windows are always properly closed, seatbelts are always fully retracted back in, no visible signs of leaks inside the car whatsoever.

Looked at the door and window seals which are all in extremely good condition, if anything they are still like new ! Seals on the roof pillars are in very good condition aswell so I'm officially stumped. 

Any ideas anyone ? 

Seen a few threads on this when I Googled it and it seems to be quite common but nobody has ever posted as to why it happens or came up with a solution. 

HI, Dave i'm having the same problem on my passenger side ..if you pm me your number

ill forward you some thing to look at.. now i've found where mine is coming in just need

to fix it.done lots off tests on mine with water hose ..

Mike k-g

• Like 1

So I've made some progress with this, finally got a dry day so I decided to clean my car, whilst at it I grabbed  cocktail sticks and some cotton buds and carefully peeled back the seal from the door surround trim to the roof.

I wedged the cocktail stick in the tiny gap near the windscreen and then wedged the cotton bud in behind it, dragged them the full length of the seal and at the end what looked like dried up wax and a fair amount of grime/muck came out. Reapeated the process again and again until it was completely spotless. 

A few days of heavy rain later and no wet seatbelt or condensation in the car ! Nice easy fix, well worth a try for anyone having the same issue. I can only presume the dried up wax, grime/muck were holding the seal off the roof ever so slightly, enough to let water trickle in.