Opinions: MPSS or Eagle F1

davidv10

Just looking for peoples opinions, recommendations or experiences for new rear tyres.

The two options I am looking at (both around the £200 mark) are Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s.

I currently have nearly new Eagle F1s on the front and do like them so it would be nice to match all 4 wheels, however there seem to be a lot of love for the MPSSs on the forum.

Haven't tried the MPSS on my Zed, but had them on my Polo previously and absolutely loved them.

So much grip in the dry giving you plenty of confidence on the twisties. Not the greatest in the cold but then again, they're a Summer tyre.

Definitely get my +1

Michelin all the way, I had the Eagle F1 Asym 3's on when I bought my HR, recently replaced with MPS4 and they have so much more traction! Especially in the wet. MPSS are obviously different but if they are anything like MPS4 they will be much better.

Any of those top three tyres Continental, Goodyear or Michelin you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference on road from a ultimate performance point of view however when needing a set of 19' tyres I went for the Continentals. The reviews show the subjective steering feel of the CSC6 to best, with the sportiest feel and the least road noise. 

I am leaning towards the F1 Supersports, only because its my daily car and so i drive it all year round (except for snow), so i really need to bear in mind handling in the wet (with this being england)...

And the Michelin's appear to be very good in the dry, but suffer in the wet. Wheras the F1s have by far the best ratings in the wet. 

• Like 1

I’ve not tried the F1SS, but the previous gen F1s were awful in the wet on an Impreza going from RE070 semi slicks to them, which surprised the hell out of me. Went back to the 070s really quickly after that! 

FWIW I’ve not had any issues on the MPS4 all weekend in soggy Wales, and that was on a hoon when they were being pushed and are 12000 miles old. Stunning things.