Headlight Tint

daz8235

Had a quick search n the forum but can't find anything. Is it illegal or MOT failure to tint/colour the headlights ? Thinking of a chameleon one, or purple (match the wrap) I  had on a car many years ago (MOT's are stricter now)

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Pretty sure it states that any tint which reduces the light passing through it is an mot fail. Pretty sure if an MOT guy wanted to be completely by the book, thats a fail. Suggest you buy a load of the stuff and refit it every year?!

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Pretty sure it states that any tint which reduces the light passing through it is an mot fail. Pretty sure if an MOT guy wanted to be completely by the book, thats a fail. Suggest you buy a load of the stuff and refit it every year?!

This.

If it reduced the output, it’s a fail. Colour tints could also be a separate fail depending on the colour of the output once wrapped. 

I've been told by my MOT tester he would not struggle to fail headlights with tint but wouldn't worry too much if it was taillight tints. 

Crux of the conversation was colour of lights allowed on vehicles, own visibility, other drivers visibility, emergency vehicles have prescribed colours etc.

He said if I was really keen to do it, find something removable and remove/apply as needed at MOT times.