Welding Diff VLSD

bens313

Hello all,

Went to first drift day at Santa pod on Wednesday, needless to say i will be doing many more.

Im looking to weld my diff now i know that everything held up to the beating well (VLSD). I was wondering if anybody knew anywhere around Oxfordshire to get it done properly? I've got a couple of mates who will weld it in there nan's shed with the cousin's sisters boyfriend's 40 year old welder but reluctant to go that route as i don't want it to fail.

Also does the diff have to come out the car or can it be done while still mounted?

The car is only used for drift days so not worried about comfort.

Thanks!

1st thing Id ask you is if you really need a welder, the LSD on my car locked up beautifully and was great for drifting. 

If yours is tired then pretty much anyone can weld it up, you just need to bury the gears in weld and be done. It does have to come off the car, sometimes its easier to find a S/H diff and get that welded then fit it.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The VQ35DE VLSD is easy to weld but as has been said the diff will have to be removed.

Also buying a spare diff as has been said, is the way to go to avoid downtime and also to provides a spare VLSD when you want to revert back to stock.

Preowned diff units are in stock if required.

Just drop me a DM if I can help you further,

15 hours ago, Laurence C said:

HMMMMM Can You even weld up a LSD ? Not familiar with the Nissan ZED one as just got one. BUT OTHER LSD'S, NO YOU CAN NOT.

I can think of at least 6 cars Ive had a welded diff on, Im  struggling to think of a diff setup that couldnt be welded TBH. 

Not saying it cannot be done. But I am strugglelig to think how to do a normal cllutch pack one or even a Torsen / Quaife OR WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT TOO. Sell it buy an open diff to do.. Plenty prepared to pay for LSD's.

Edited by Laurence C

Because a welded diff is 100% predictable and locked on deceleration, an LSD isnt and doesnt. If you want to drift, or run a serious track set up a viscous LSD is not going to be as effective as a welder.

Sure, you can get a plate diff that locks the same every time but a 2 way OS Giken is £1600 ......... a welder is effectively a 3 way OE  diff and costs about £50. 

Edited by docwra