Tyre help please

Dave6188

So I own a 2015 370z GT, stock sizes for tyres are front 245/40 R19, rear 275/35 R19, I have been looking at either Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or 4S, is there a lot of difference between the two ? they don't make a front to stock size either which is a pain. 

Car is daily driven to work and back in all conditions, fast road driving now and again and long road trips, what tyre would best suit those needs. 

What tyre size should I go with without straying to far from stock, more grip would be nice but I don't want to affect anything by not sticking to stock size, what do you guys suggest and what are you currently running in terms of tyres and sizes. 

Many thanks

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

Don't go with what sizes other people fit.

Use a tyre calculation web site for an informed calculation.

I can get both tyres for the front but instead the stock size 40 wall they only come in 35 wall. I'm not 100% what difference it would actually make if any at all. I guess Nissan made them 40 wall for a reason aswell so I don't want to screw up the way the car handles/rides. 

So the 4S comes in 255/40 R19 would that be ok on the front ? Should I get a 285/35 R19 for the rear so both are 10mm wider for a tiny bit of extra grip ? Will this cause me any issues whatsoever ? Finally is the 4S much better than the 4 ? 

Pirelli do the correct sizes for your 370z, the P zero was the winner of the 2019 Evo tyre test.........it was fastest in both dry and wet conditions...........the 4S didn't come 1st in any of the categorys, it was great if you want the 2nd best tyre out there though

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/v2/car/products

https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-p-zero-named-as-best-performance-tyre-by-evo-magazine/ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 350Butcher said:

Pirelli do the correct sizes for your 370z, the P zero was the winner of the 2019 Evo tyre test.........it was fastest in both dry and wet conditions...........the 4S didn't come 1st in any of the categorys, it was great if you want the 2nd best tyre out there though

https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-p-zero-named-as-best-performance-tyre-by-evo-magazine/ 

I'm completely open to suggestions, I don't read up much on what is best out there and by no means will probably find the limits of the tyre but it's nice to have the best of the best and most importantly something that inspires confidence when pushing what I would class as hard. 

I think the top few manufacturers will be extremely similar and for an average driver like myself that never goes on track I would never be able to tell the difference, main thing is feel for me, I want peace of mind when pushing that the rear isn't going to snap out, something predictable and gradual to let me know how far to push. Hope this makes sense ! 

17 minutes ago, Dave6188 said:

I think the top few manufacturers will be extremely similar and for an average driver like myself that never goes on track I would never be able to tell the difference, main thing is feel for me, I want peace of mind when pushing that the rear isn't going to snap out, something predictable and gradual to let me know how far to push. Hope this makes sense ! 

Nail - Head

I think most on here would concur and I certainly agree (having MPS4S on my 911)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Just read the tyre test in Evo magazine, the P Zero was pitted up against the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 not the 4 S, test was done at the Pirelli test track ! Car used was a fwd Golf GTI. Makes me wonder if the test was influenced at all by the fact it was carried out at Pirelli's own test track and if the results would have been different with a rwd car with some decent grunt behind it.

Read several reviews on the difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and 4S and most conclude there is only a small margin of difference between the two, the 4S stiffer construction gives more feedback but is a smidge harsher on road, track times were only 0.1 of a second difference in wet and dry and braking was only better by 0.3m. 

Will read up on the P Zero a bit more before making the choice. 

Any feedback from owners with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and P Zero would be welcome. 

I don’t like P Zeroes personally, they’re okay tyres but the price you pay I’d rather have the PS4S. Run the sizes in a tyre calculator and just keep within the standard ratio difference and you’ll be fine. 

I run PS4 on my car and they’re lovely, but the 4S are definitely better. 

26 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I don’t like P Zeroes personally, they’re okay tyres but the price you pay I’d rather have the PS4S. Run the sizes in a tyre calculator and just keep within the standard ratio difference and you’ll be fine. 

I run PS4 on my car and they’re lovely, but the 4S are definitely better. 

What is the standard ratio difference ? I've run MPS4 on my old HR Z and thought they transformed the car but it did have really crap tyres on previously so the difference was huge, thought they felt a bit soft though. 

I would happily go from 245/40 R19 to 255/40 R19 and rear from 275/35 R19 to 285/35 R19 and run MPS4S if it wouldn't cause any issue's. It's only 10mm wider front and rear so I can't see it making a huge difference. 

Recently I needed a set of 19' tyres for my 350z and after much research went for the Continental Sport Contact 6 and very happy with them. Amazing steering feel and grip. Lovely light and direct steering *Michelin are known for they soft sidewalls.  If your anything like me and like a good looking tyre, these look immense also.

IMG_20190802_181519352_HDR.jpg.d47a111eab1db61302f7952e44ae898c.jpg

• Like 1

I remember a mate buying a set of Avon ZZ5 tyres and we both thought, yep that's an ugly sidewall that you'll see every time you look at the car, would bug me no end - but everyone is different. 

I wouldn't choose a pretty tyre on looks alone, but I wouldn't buy an ugly one if that makes sense. 

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1