P1051 - A/F Sensor 1 Heater (Bank 2) - Advise please

veeg33

Had EML lighted up yesterday morning, car drove OK, not in limp mode or anything. Drove to nursery and work, then back to nursery and home. Checked the error code, it was P1051. Cleared the code and drove zed for 15-20mins, EML did not light up. Started zed up this morning and same code has reappear. Is this related to cold weather? was 3degC when i got in the zed this morning. 1st time having code since 4 years of ownership hence suspect the cold is just coincidence or the heater on the A/F sensor is dead hence needs replacing? Don't think I can ignore this in the long run as I have MOT in Dec hence suspect this needs sorted else I would fail the MOT? Assuming it will only take 10-15 mins to replace but part will be costly?

6 hours ago, veeg33 said:

Had EML lighted up yesterday morning, car drove OK, not in limp mode or anything. Drove to nursery and work, then back to nursery and home. Checked the error code, it was P1051. Cleared the code and drove zed for 15-20mins, EML did not light up. Started zed up this morning and same code has reappear. Is this related to cold weather? was 3degC when i got in the zed this morning. 1st time having code since 4 years of ownership hence suspect the cold is just coincidence or the heater on the A/F sensor is dead hence needs replacing? Don't think I can ignore this in the long run as I have MOT in Dec hence suspect this needs sorted else I would fail the MOT? Assuming it will only take 10-15 mins to replace but part will be costly?

Have you checked with a scan tool as to which Bank its relating to? Bank 1 is drivers side, Bank 2 is passenger side. 

Use a scan tool with data logging to check A/F on both banks and see if ones running Lean. However, fault codes can sometimes be misleading.

I had a P1283 Code couple days after I purchased the car. It said Bank 2 Sensor 1 ( Pre cat ) was running lean. After scratching my head and going crazy trying to find vaccum leaks I was ready to replace the sensor. Before I did that, I got a new exhaust on after which the code went away and never came back.

Turned out I had an exhaust leak between the manifold and cats which was affecting the sensor.

Now In your case, I don't know if P1051 relates to the A/F sensors before the cats or if its the sensors inside of the cats themselves, but a good way to test it would be to swap the sensors around and see if the code changes.

That's the step Id take, maybe someones got a better idea?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fijifixit said:

Have you checked with a scan tool as to which Bank its relating to? Bank 1 is drivers side, Bank 2 is passenger side. 

Use a scan tool with data logging to check A/F on both banks and see if ones running Lean. However, fault codes can sometimes be misleading.

I had a P1283 Code couple days after I purchased the car. It said Bank 2 Sensor 1 ( Pre cat ) was running lean. After scratching my head and going crazy trying to find vaccum leaks I was ready to replace the sensor. Before I did that, I got a new exhaust on after which the code went away and never came back.

Turned out I had an exhaust leak between the manifold and cats which was affecting the sensor.

Now In your case, I don't know if P1051 relates to the A/F sensors before the cats or if its the sensors inside of the cats themselves, but a good way to test it would be to swap the sensors around and see if the code changes.

That's the step Id take, maybe someones got a better idea?

My new mobile not connecting with my ebay's special Bluetooth dongle. It was OK with the old phone. Will try with missus's phone over the weekend. Wanted to check and make sure defo need a new sensor before I buy one (£100+++) each. Will get to my local garage and ask them to do the swap and see after I done some logging.