Ow no another NA build!

itsLeon

After reading a couple of builds here including that of @350Butcher i thought time to start my own thread. 

First of all some pics of my car. Hate it or love it. 
HcxZkew.jpg

m3wXngK.jpg

Why the NA build? 
Well my engine started to have problems (very low compression test, lose of power) and after helping out friends with their turbo or supercharger projects i wanted something else. 
The idea was to go simple and not to go to wild (replace gaskets, different cams, other intake). 
But after swapping the engine i got from a friend of mine (he had one in reserve) things started rolling.
p3kBFhU.jpg

A friend of mine ( @Hansburger ) told me that he knew a shop selling some engine upgrade parts for a 350z and after talking to that shop i bought their parts for cheap, like real cheap. 
I bought the following items:
- new 350z short block
- Pauter connecting rods (major overkill)
- wiseco pistons 8.8:1 (sold those and bought new £600 Cosworth 11:1 pistons with rings)
- lightly used heads
- lightly used crankshaft
- other minor parts
Tsyv0GF.jpg

Well i still wanted different cams because why not and i was looking at the JWT C8 but then i found out a seller near mine location was selling some proper race cams for 1/3 the price of a JWT set. So now im the owner of some 294 duration 12mm lift cams... ow boy.
At this point i was like 'Yeah lets just go full retard and see how far we can go'. 
Ordered some parts in Amerika, like gaskets, studs, new rev-up oil pomp (i want to rev higher), etc 
oANIhD0.jpg

So at this point all the parts i needed where in and time to start fitting but we ran into a small problem. The cams didnt fit. 

lyhFqH9.jpg

xJtZeBN.jpg

After contacting the manufacture they told us that we needed so special parts to lift the buckets and ofcourse heavy springs.
jLCFerg.jpg

Right now we can start building!

measuring the weight of the pistons
xm4nmaD.jpg

Setting up the block
Pe9X5vw.jpg

Re-measure all the clearances (had a local shop do this first for ordering the correct parts)
MMjfUsj.jpg

But like any other NA build you need a better intake and better exhaust. 
So for the intake i have a kinetix high velocity, 75mm throttle body and need to create a custom 3.5 or 4 inch intake tube. 

For the exhaust i have bought from Torqen the ISR longtube headers and this will be connected to custom exhaust. 
lGbmPlj.jpg

So the goal for now
- 8000 revs. 
- lots of noise
- dont care about the horsepower (but a little more then 300whp would be nice)
- Tune it myself

Up next: 
- weighing of connecting rods and see what connecting rod and piston go together. 
- Assemble short block

Edited by itsLeon
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

Nice one, I'm ordering my last bits and pieces too very, very soon!

Would you be able to PM or post up you compression/leak down results ?

The old numbers where 5 cilinders around 120psi and 1 cilinder around 75psi.

New engine I don't know yet ☺️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Cheers for the mention! Will be updating my thread soon as my build gets going in Nov

Your build is looking good, looking forward to following your progress with it all.........envious of your workshop!!

I will keep following your post as its always fun to read what other people are doing on the hard way of NA power. 

And just to make you a little more envious of the workshop. Yes we have our own dyno :D
F7w84HL.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, itsLeon said:

I will keep following your post as its always fun to read what other people are doing on the hard way of NA power. 

And just to make you a little more envious of the workshop. Yes we have our own dyno :D

Yep hard and costly but makes the car so good to drive! 

Haha yep that’s the cherry on top!! Out of interest I read you’re mapping it yourself, are you using UpRev or changing ecu?  

1 hour ago, 350Butcher said:

Yep hard and costly but makes the car so good to drive! 

Haha yep that’s the cherry on top!! Out of interest I read you’re mapping it yourself, are you using UpRev or changing ecu?  

Gonna change ECU just to make things easier and the fact i can get it from a friend (he's almost a collector of ECU's :P )
Also if we tune a stock ECU we don't use UpRev but romraider while its more limited then UpRev for most tuning its more then enough (bolt on NA tuning, pops and bangs, removing of limiters rpm or speed) and the best part its open-source! So no need of expensive licenses. 

What are you planning todo? Changing ECU or UpRev? 

Edited by itsLeon

5 hours ago, itsLeon said:

What are you planning todo? Changing ECU or UpRev? 

What ecu are you looking to use?

I’ll be having a remap using UpRev after the builds done and run in and I’d like at some point to use the Syvecs PnP ecu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

What ecu are you looking to use?

I’ll be having a remap using UpRev after the builds done and run in and I’d like at some point to use the Syvecs PnP ecu. 

It will probably be an haltech.

I'm not familiar with Syvecs.

Edited:
I just found out what a Syvecs is and my god they are expensive! 

Edited by itsLeon
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

I'll be pulling my one apart soon too, just need to collect a 2nd car next weekend (hopefully) to run around whilst this happens.

So there are at least 3 n/a builds happening on the forum now :scare:

Nice! what kind of car are you looking for? my daily is a peugeot 107 :P 
Yeah and 3 n/a build at the same time how awesome! Let keep each other up-to-date and maybe we can help each other out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, itsLeon said:

Nice! what kind of car are you looking for? my daily is a peugeot 107 :P 
Yeah and 3 n/a build at the same time how awesome! Let keep each other up-to-date and maybe we can help each other out. 

Heh good to have the contrast with the Z !

It's my fathers old Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin, hopefully it starts up and works.

It'll be good for winter driving, just to get to the gym and see family.

I should be good to start around the end of the month, all being well !

Edited by RobPhoboS

14 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

Heh good to have the contrast with the Z !

It's my fathers old Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin, hopefully it starts up and works.

It'll be good for winter driving, just to get to the gym and see family.

I should be good to start around the end of the month, all being well !

Nice! i hope it all works according to plan. 
Im currently balancing the connecting rods and waiting on the last bolt to come in (was missing a ARP connecting rod bolt). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, itsLeon said:

It will probably be an haltech.

I'm not familiar with Syvecs.

Edited:
I just found out what a Syvecs is and my god they are expensive! 

Sadly good and expensive always seem to come together!

I’ll need 100% convincing it’ll deliver what I want it to. It’s also in the queue after a few other bits......one big one being full manifold back custom track day friendly exhaust so it won’t be arriving anytime soon.........plus I’ve got the engine to build first. 

When are you expecting to have the engine built and run in by? 

On 04/10/2019 at 21:15, 350Butcher said:

I’ll need 100% convincing it’ll deliver what I want it to. It’s also in the queue after a few other bits......one big one being full manifold back custom track day friendly exhaust so it won’t be arriving anytime soon.........plus I’ve got the engine to build first. 

Well yeah i know what you mean. 

Well the plan is that the engine building is finished around the end of december. Have it in the car in Januari and tune the car in februari. 
So many other projects also coming in so don't have all the time to build :(

6 minutes ago, Hansburger said:

Leon! Can't wait to take it out for a spin. Let's see what your car is gonna do against mine. :)

Yeah im eager to. Tonight i will be working on balancing the connecting rods and the last missing bold came in.
But i also have to get a car of the dyno and drive to gas station because its out of fuel and trying to make a ghost cam tune on a stock ECU without uprev.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2019 at 21:15, 350Butcher said:

Oke small change of plans. Me and my friend will be taking a couple of days off in the beginning of november to finish the engine building so we expect to start tuning the car on the dyno around december. 

Edited by itsLeon
  • Like 2

Small update: 
Tried to balance the connecting rods within a 0.1 gram and failed :D (need some special equipment) now gonna try to balance the connecting rods and pistons so the combination of those 2 are the same. Also balance them around the cilinders so that the weight is not only on one side. 

• Like 1

New update:

Balancing of the rods and pistons are done

Gapping the pistons rings are done

Fitting all the rings are done

Then we found out the connecting rods don't fit the pistons... Well that sucks (small end is to wide of the rod)

Anyone interested in pauter rods?

• Like 2