More power?

decrobinson1999

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to get more power out on my 350, I was wondering what everyone's opinion on this was, options being,

Supercharger/turbo?

Engine swap?

Faster car?

Just intrigued on everyone's thoughts as I have heard people say the Z platforms isn't exactly 'mod friendly', which I'm not sure I agree with

I would like to keep my Z and dont really plan on selling it any time soon, i'm only 20 so planning a fairly long future with it and like the thought of building something rather than buying.

I'm not sure on the exact amount i want to spend, i have seen used kits for TT and SC at around 2250 GBP. I'm just looking for the best money per gains really, and i keep thinking when people say to buy a faster car it'll be a never ending thing because i'll always want to make it faster

Edited by decrobinson1999

for starter id say maybe around 400-425whp, i have a DE Rev-up engine, i wouls say around 4k maybe, that may be a bit unrealistic but i'm basing that on a second hand kit.

Or would it be better to get a HR as i am still unsure which the best Z engine is to be honest, i have heard pros and cons for all but would prefer to stick with my current car unless there is a big difference in the ease of modding and gaining power

insurance is a different thing i'm keeping aside, i currently pay 1100 for it, i have been quoted 2550 with turbo which isnt too bad considering thats what it cost to insure my GT86 a few months back.

Or would you suggest to just leave the extra power goals for a few years and just do other things to the car

Are you capable of carrying out the work yourself?

4k would get you there with a SC if your handy with a spanner , a bargain hunter and do the bare minimum required. 

It’s very rare to see a second hand TT kit come up for sale and currently nobody makes a RHD TT kit for DE cars. 

As for engine swaps, 4k will get you no where 

yeah i'm aware the figure is low for an engine swap, i would up it if needed for this route, however i do quite like the VQ engine so far so the engine swap was more of a last option if none other seemed viable. i would probably do the work myself along with some more knowledgeable people by my side who have supercharged a car before (not a 350 though) i would necessarily insist on a TT kit, would be happy with a single also.

I thought a supercharger would be best from my opinion as i do daily the car and would imagine them to be more forgiving in this aspect, however i have heard they are a lot more limited than turbos, is this correct?

1 hour ago, Eddie_r32 said:

I don't know what chassis and cooling mods you have but I would start with brakes, suspension, cooling and bushings as 400bhp will quickly find the limits of stock!  I've done power first before and its a great way to hate and resent a car. 

i havent got much in that respect yet, i have been looking at some coilover but in between moving houses atm so havent got around to ordering them yet. i do have stainless steel brake and clutch lines, RJM pedal, intake and some other things. 

would you suggest i better put my money into this area to start with to make it a better car to drive generally? the 350 isnt necessarily a slow car, i've just read in some places that its pointless and a waste of money trying to make power NA if you're going to go FI sometime in the future

I'm not in the biggest rush to go FI, i just want a car what looks great (or can be made to) and feels as good to drive

• Like 1

First make it stop, then make it handle, then make it go. Old, but true. 

Go and sort your brakes and tyres first, then change the suspension and ARBs, then worry about power. A well driven NA Zed with the first two parts done will be quicker and more fun than one with just a blower strapped to it. 

4 minutes ago, Ekona said:

First make it stop, then make it handle, then make it go. Old, but true. 

Go and sort your brakes and tyres first, then change the suspension and ARBs, then worry about power. A well driven NA Zed with the first two parts done will be quicker and more fun than one with just a blower strapped to it. 

would you suggest replacing the OEM brembo brakes? i have a revup GT, it has 18inch rays with nearly new falken tires (previous owner) in my position what would you do? i have a fairly decent budget for the mods, i do also intend the car to be used on the track/drift days also even after being my daily driver

Brembos are fine, but I’d change the pads, discs and fluid for sure. Falkens aren’t really what I’d class as performance tyres but if they’re that new you could sell them to offset the cost of new tyres. Bearing in mind they’re the only thing actually touching the ground, it’s worthwhile putting the best on there that you can imho. You’ll definitely want to put your money into brakes and tyres if you’re doing track days, although if you’re doing drift days too then maybe keep the Falkens to use as sacrificial ones on those days? 

57 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Brembos are fine, but I’d change the pads, discs and fluid for sure. Falkens aren’t really what I’d class as performance tyres but if they’re that new you could sell them to offset the cost of new tyres. Bearing in mind they’re the only thing actually touching the ground, it’s worthwhile putting the best on there that you can imho. You’ll definitely want to put your money into brakes and tyres if you’re doing track days, although if you’re doing drift days too then maybe keep the Falkens to use as sacrificial ones on those days? 

Are then any pads and disks you would recommend, my pads are fairly new but for some reason seem to create a very high pitched noise when braking. Would you say i would be wasting my time trying to get to 350bhp area with NA mods to begin with rather than going for FI and also focusing more on the feel of the car

You wont get to 350bhp with NA mods, unless you spend an utter fortune going beyond the usual exhaust, intake etc. mods. I had a DE and got an extra 17hp with sports cats, plenum spacer, exhaust, intake work and a remap. That cost nearly £2k on its own. 

For the brakes, chat with Alex about shims, they often get lost over the years but sticking them in with the pads can prevent the squealing. 

3 minutes ago, coldel said:

You wont get to 350bhp with NA mods, unless you spend an utter fortune going beyond the usual exhaust, intake etc. mods. I had a DE and got an extra 17hp with sports cats, plenum spacer, exhaust, intake work and a remap. That cost nearly £2k on its own. 

For the brakes, chat with Alex about shims, they often get lost over the years but sticking them in with the pads can prevent the squealing. 

So if you were to suggest it you would say to prep the car with good driver feel mods and supporting mods to then go FI? As well as maybe some weight reduction, and i have noticed a few people saying the breaks make this noise, i never knew why

If it’s your daily driver I will stop you straight away for points 1&2. Go straight to 3 and buy a faster car.

majority of guys that supercharge don’t keep them for long (some in this thread already lol) and the others crave more power and constantly think the car is going to blow up.(myself in that bracket) twin turbo or turbo will be out of budget unless you can fabricate and have ALL the tools to hand, and still be thinking the car is going to blow up.

Throw some money to make it handle and stop well then sell up and buy something faster from the factory.

10 minutes ago, evilscorp said:

If it’s your daily driver I will stop you straight away for points 1&2. Go straight to 3 and buy a faster car.

majority of guys that supercharge don’t keep them for long (some in this thread already lol) and the others crave more power and constantly think the car is going to blow up.(myself in that bracket) twin turbo or turbo will be out of budget unless you can fabricate and have ALL the tools to hand, and still be thinking the car is going to blow up.

Throw some money to make it handle and stop well then sell up and buy something faster from the factory.

it's my daily for now, i did plan on eventually building it into a drift car once i had another car, would it just be better to buy a car that already has a turbo from factory? turbo cars seem to be able to be tuned better than NA platforms (i could be wrong in thinking this)

i did think of something such as the 2.5l 2006 WRX which i know is slower from factory but can be tuned much easier to get gains (again i could be wrong)

however i do prefer the z as far as the looks of a car and have never owned a AWD car so couldnt comment on what they are like to drive in comparison