Is my Zed trying to kill me (twice) plus New tattoo

EcoFriendlyAL

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:26, EcoFriendlyAL said:

Hi Veeg, yes been on these crap tyres for 3 years in all weathers including snow. I do give the throttle a blip now and again on a straight road if nothings about and enjoy a nice bend too. Back only slipping out the last week. WE had hot weather and then very wet so probably build up of rubber on road and tyres where out, though there is still a good few mm on them.

Sounds like you'll need to get alignment sorted as Alex suggested or those 'crap' tyres are not great after 3 years of wear. Sounds like a OK tyre to me if it only gives you issue after 3 years, that's pretty cheap motoring there provided you are doing quite a bit of miles with them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, veeg33 said:

Sounds like you'll need to get alignment sorted as Alex suggested or those 'crap' tyres are not great after 3 years of wear. Sounds like a OK tyre to me if it only gives you issue after 3 years, that's pretty cheap motoring there provided you are doing quite a bit of miles with them.

I only do about 3k miles a year. Consider myself lucky I've not lost it on a bend. Got the rears on yesterday, fronts arrive today and will get it alighned front and back.

58 minutes ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

I only do about 3k miles a year. Consider myself lucky I've not lost it on a bend. Got the rears on yesterday, fronts arrive today and will get it alighned front and back.

Hopefully you are all sorted after alignment and new shoes on the zed.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, veeg33 said:

Hopefully you are all sorted after alignment and new shoes on the zed.

yes should be a lot more sure footed now. gave Kwik fit a call as they do a free check but of course the webshite does not list cost. £50 for front and £75 for back! Guy on the phone asks what car, and then says "are the rears adjustable"? So are only some cars adjustable? My local centre does lazer alignment so they can do it after the frotns are fitted later today.

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

As you're in Walsall, I can recommend Rich @ Kwik Fit in Erdington, BMTR Perry Barr or Andy @ Tyres R US in Witton!!

2 hours ago, Wheels 370z said:

I'm Midlands based Eco..... I used Addison Tyres Ltd in Tipton... top blokes.

Good advice -  rather than someone who has to ask  "are the rears adjustable"?

• Thanks 1

Every chance you just hit a greasy bit of road or a minor diesel spillage of course! I inherited pirellis Pzeros on my 350z and they break away very easily in the wet, looking forward to trying something different when they're worn out. was planning on going for yokohama's but just brought a set of Rays off a guy who swore buy the Michelins he had fitted on them. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, covertfox said:

Every chance you just hit a greasy bit of road or a minor diesel spillage of course! I inherited pirellis Pzeros on my 350z and they break away very easily in the wet, looking forward to trying something different when they're worn out. was planning on going for yokohama's but just brought a set of Rays off a guy who swore buy the Michelins he had fitted on them. 

May of been something on the road, but as it happened twice in the last two weeks I'm guessing cheap tryes even with plenty of tread have worn to point of being dangerous, then its had been hot so rubber on road then rain. Sure Michelin are very good. I think I'll do just fine on my new ones. Not been far but does seem better braking.

5 hours ago, covertfox said:

watching the vid Eco appears to be matching speed to the car ahead which had no troubles with the bend. could be a combination of rubber that's not brilliantly sticky in the wet to start with (though obviously good enough for 3 years of comfortable driving!) and the tread being at the point grip starts to fade. at about 3mm a tyres behaviour will start to change, sure it will be legal for a lot longer, but it won't be as grippy as before.

• Like 2

Tread pattern makes a big difference for driving in the wet too, Michelin PS4s are great, if you don't want PS4s, then Goodyear Eagle F1 asy 5 are a good alternative, Costco usually has sales on the Michelins and Goodyears, might be worth getting a membership card.

The most important thing is the driver though, premium tyres won't save you if you floor it when aquaplaning or apply sudden rapid steering input around a sharp bend, "adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of the road you are on".

Edited by Stock
  • Like 2