Is my Zed trying to kill me (twice) plus New tattoo

EcoFriendlyAL

As I say, drive to the conditions and you will be fine (unless you have some muppet pull out on you or something and tyres become irrelevant) 

The tyre website is a bit misleading though, its only tested on a certain size tyre and if you read the reviews they tend to be from people driving much less powerful cars, possibly AWD/FWD rather than RWD etc.

Edited by coldel
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ekona said:

The Michelin’s aren’t expensive when you take into account the wear rates of them, they work out cheaper in the long run. 

Not wrong but it's when you have to replace them before the actual end of their useful life. 

If you can't afford them twice you can't afford them once. . . 

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 17:01, EcoFriendlyAL said:

Hi Bullet and Zmanalex, I had no idea they were crap tyres, They were on when I bought the car 3 years ago. Yes they would be well cold as I'de not long started off. Time to get some Pirelli P6000 I reckon?

Cheers Guys

AL

3 hours ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

For my needs and how I drive the tyres will suit me just fine. 

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-27-All-Season-Tyre-Shootout.htm 

Why ask an owners club for advice, if you plan to do your own thing anyway?

The tyre review you linked was tested on a 15' tyre, which wont have been tested on a vehicle anything like a 350z.

Edited by davey_83

27 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

The tyre review you linked was tested on a 15' tyre, which wont have been tested on a vehicle anything like a 350z.

I did ask but no one replied at that time, so I went ahaead with what seemed the most suitable tyre for my usage and driving style. So all year round and fairly steady. If a response would have coome quicker I may have bought the one people keep mentioning but its too late now anyway. I appeciate everyones input.

6 minutes ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

I did ask but no one replied at that time,

If a response would have coome quicker I may have bought the one people keep mentioning

At 18:08 on Sunday you mentioned that you might buy Pirelli:

At 19:15 on Sunday you were advised to buy Michelin.

I would consider that a quick informed response.

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

That's one big tyre Davey!!! ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

You people need to chill out!

I think people get a bit annoyed when someone's asked for advice but then not followed the advice given. Please remember that they're just trying to help you at the end of the day, it's not like they have anything to gain from you buying tyres of a certain brand. Also, you have to remember that this is a forum for a performance car, most people (myself included) don't really see the point of getting a performance car if you're not going to stretch it's legs at least occasionally.

The michelin ps4 are better than what you've ordered (I changed over to them from some mid range tyres the person had put on my car before I bought it). However, as others have said as long as you drive within yours and the cars/tyres limits the tyres you have ordered should be fine (they certainly don't look like they're ditch finders).

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

I’m pretty sure Dan’s on commission from Michelin actually, so might stand to gain something...

:stir:

He's only got a few shares in the company :lol:

as have I, but they are great tyres, especially the MPS4Ss

Edited by ATTAK Z

Very late to the party but after reading (apologies if i've missed anything crucial) what the OP has written, it sounds like OP only has issue with the tyres recently after 3 years owning the car (car came with this tyre). If this is correct and assuming OP has driven the zed like this for the past 3 years, isn't the tyres he had on was ok and the issue he has now is down to wear on the tyres. Unless he always have this issue for the past 3 years and only just asked for advise now or he hasn't driven in the rain??

• Thanks 1

When was the last time that you had a proper 4 wheel alignment done?

The best tyres in the world will not keep your car in a straight line if your geo is out.

Same goes for excessive play on your hubs or your tyre pressures etc..

i would certainly get the above looked at as a matter of general routine maintenance, before or at the same time as the new tyres are fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

You people need to chill out!

We can see you have been a member on here for some 3.5 years, yet having asked for opinions about tyres within just 24 hours you had decided to order a brand that you had not previously mentioned.  :wacko:

I'm sure you will be fine on your tyres of choice as it seems you survived OK on tyres that can be described for use on ZEDs as 'ditchfinders'. However if you really enjoy spirited driving, Zeds they can bite very easily with expensive results as I have seen in many reports in the 13 years I have been a member on here and invariably when the tyres were questioned they have not been the best available at the time, or badly worn.  As davey 83 indicates, relying on internet tyre reviews aimed mainly at everyday cars and certainly not small volume sales like the ZEDs is not the best way to make a choice, IMO.

Yes, there are drivers who relish in the rear of their Zeds sliding around and not too bothered about tyre type - each to their own.

During my time of Zed ownership (see signature) I experienced two types of Bridgestones; as well as Falkens, Vredestein and lastly Michelins MPSS. Tyre development over my ownership time got better but the MPSS were by far the best tyre, particularly in the wet, although I recall at the time the £1100 bill for 4 was a bit eye watering their longevity was excellent.  I chose replacement tyres recommended by long term members on here, who like me I knew liked to really push on in their Zeds.  I covered over 40k miles in the 3 Zeds I owned and much of that mileage was on organized drives by this forum, particularly in Wales and Scotland with plenty of spirited driving.

On that note, just to lighten moment,  one of my favourite pics leading a drive-out in Wales :D:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_d24.jpg.7e7f96dbc137b64626efd226a0ea364e.jpg

If I were back in a Zed I would have no hesitation about fitting the MPS4 (18" wheels) or the MPS4S (19 wheels), going by the reports I have seen on here.

So when you asked for opinions and you got responses very promptly I think those of us who did that can be forgiven for airing frustration that we wasted our time.  That said, I felt you deserved an explanation seeing you also are taken aback by the responses, but the main thing is you enjoy your Zed on its new boots and as Zmanalex has just said, a 4-wheel alignment is certainly a good investment, something I made a point of doing every year or so as it can make a significant difference.  :drive1;)

Edited by Ebized
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

The best tyres in the world will not keep your car in a straight line if your geo is out.

i would certainly get the above looked at as a matter of general routine maintenance, before or at the same time as the new tyres are fitted.

This! 

You can pay silly money but if you run excessive camber, drive/park on gravel, have funky suspension etc etc. then why not invest a little in setting the car up and avoiding the free work car park for something a little better and then get the best tyres with your leftover budget. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, veeg33 said:

Very late to the party but after reading (apologies if i've missed anything crucial) what the OP has written, it sounds like OP only has issue with the tyres recently after 3 years owning the car (car came with this tyre). If this is correct and assuming OP has driven the zed like this for the past 3 years, isn't the tyres he had on was ok and the issue he has now is down to wear on the tyres. Unless he always have this issue for the past 3 years and only just asked for advise now or he hasn't driven in the rain??

Hi Veeg, yes been on these crap tyres for 3 years in all weathers including snow. I do give the throttle a blip now and again on a straight road if nothings about and enjoy a nice bend too. Back only slipping out the last week. WE had hot weather and then very wet so probably build up of rubber on road and tyres where out, though there is still a good few mm on them.

4 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

Had the front done last year before a long journey at a small independent tyre place.  Will look into that thanks. And 35psi all round is the right pressure I believe?

Edited by EcoFriendlyAL