Is my Zed trying to kill me (twice) plus New tattoo

EcoFriendlyAL

Having a look at tyres. I kind of get the 145/45 but the current crap ones are ZR18 100Y,

Looking at these, might go to Kwik Fit, maybe buy else where and get fitted at a local place I know that a friend goes to who are good.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/details/pirelli/pirelli-p-zero/t1008763

assume these are the correct rating?

I can't afford two sets of tyres for winter and summer so can I just go for Winter tyres for all year round? I'll not be going on any track days.

Edited by EcoFriendlyAL

I'd hold fire on the Pirelli and get some Michelin.

Can't remember which ones in particular MPS4 MPSS MPPPPSSS? :lol:

but they've definitely been the tried and tested best tyres for zeds if your budget can accommodate.

Ekona is the man to PM on which is the current Michelin of choice ;)

• Thanks 1

There is I am sure a graph which shows brands of tyres along one axis and the amount of welly you can give it without losing it on another.

Accelera wont lose traction if you are driving at a stupid slow pace, but then why bother with a 350z. Any decent prem/midrange to prem tyre will work with 80% of situations. And unless you live in the mountains just get summer tyres.

What I am seeing a lot on 350z's at the moment is because the cost entry point is so low (circa £3500) people with much smaller maintenance budgets are buying in with excitement of owning a V6 2 seater but struggling to put the proper stuff on the car - an owner can easily spend the cost of the car on new brakes, clutch, flywheel, tyres and a few services. 

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

had the zed 3 years. Tyres were on when I bought it. I'de assumed they were good quality as its an expensive car £6700 I think. Should of checked I suppose. If you see the video I'm only doing 20 round the corner and not acceletating that hard. I've bought the bridgestones now and its too late to change as they are already being shipped. I expect I'll get the same for the front too.

3 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I would do that ASAP, nexens are utter shite. 

They are N8000 and about £80 each and going buy the old saying you get what you pay for then yes they most likely are. Am buying fronts to match the rears now. Its expensive business but its your life in there hands. Consider I've been lucky and not lost it on a sweeping bend at speed. person who had car beofre me must have run out of money as the fans had stopped working and sold it as that. Crazy putting crap tyres on a 279bhp car with loads of torque.

Cheers chaps.

• Like 1

my zed came with a set of rubbers from a manufacturer i'd never heard of before. i was getting wheel spin in the wet at 70mph in 3rd gear. i too slipped a bit on a roundabout while following another car at normal road speeds. oh and i also had a ford focus pull away from me on a slip road, he was driving on his space saver spare wheel and still had more grip than me!

in the dry it was fine, but as soon as the roads got wet i had to drive like there was a tall bag of chinese takeaway in passenger seat.

i did a lot of reading and the michelin MPSS came out tops. the difference was night and day. suddenly i could floor it in 2nd on a wet road and the zed would grip and go. since then i've made sure my other cars have tyres that have a wet braking A rating. the new michelin MP4S takes over where the MPSS left off (or MPS4S if you have larger than stock tyres).

yes they cost, but unlike days of old a sticky tyre no longer means a quick wearing tyre. the MPSS was a dual compound tyre with sticky stuff for the corners and harder stuff for the straights giving them a surprisingly good life span. the new MP4S tyres have several compounds building on that idea.

also be aware that at about 3mm tread even the expensive tyres won't grip as well as they used to. and when it's 5deg outside they will grip less, but then i expect you'll be cruising about at normal speeds like in your vid when it's cold like that.

so hopefully you'll get some safer performance out of the new tyres, but maybe look at saving up for some of the best tyres for next round?

• Like 1

Drove my zed in the snow on Falkens and survived to tell the tale ;) drive to the conditions depending on what rubber you are on, clearly some tyres are proven to be much better than others, but if in doubt don't take it out!

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

The OP had 3 years on thoe mixed budget tyres without much cause for concern. Just time to replace due to wear and condition. Michelin, Yokohama, Continental, Goodyear all very good tyres and ideally best to replace all four in your situation.

When I bought my car it came with Michelin PS3 up front and Nexen N8000 on the rear. Did 4 track sessions, x2 wet & x2 dry and never had an issue. Just drove accordingly both on road and track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having just driven on the motorway in the worst conditions I've had to withstand in the Zed, I'd definitely recommend spending the extra on tyres. It's given me enough confidence to keep driving, if I had bald/crap tyres I would have parked up and waiting for some sunshine. 

Seen a few incidents leaving bits of bumper, gravel and all sorts on the motorway, definitely not a nice day to drive a sporty car. Guess it's a mixture of driving skill, driving sense and car tyres/brakes to match - like its been said above, if in doubt don't take it out. 

Thanks for the comments. The tyres are in transit so too late too change. It was not about money but don't want two sets of tyres I need to change for season. Z is my daily drive so needs to be able be driven in all conditions. "Bridgestones in the wet", read the reviews. I'm not a bad boy, street racer, car cruiser and car is standard. After having the back end go on holiday round a corner safety is more important than performance. For my needs and how I drive the tyres will suit me just fine.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-27-All-Season-Tyre-Shootout.htm

I'm sure this will run and run.

Cheers

AL

Yeah no fear mongering so take all my comments with a pinch of salt. The tyres are en route so fit them and enjoy the car! Personally I'm running Hankook Ventus S1's which nobody here recommends ha! Just means if I ever get a puncture I know I can easily afford to replace them instead of the pricey MPS4S/MPSS