some of my other diy projects

andybp

some of the reason for my lack of progress on my air ride and throttle body projects is all the other stuff I play with

like my diy valve amp and speakers I've been building (still not finished)

IMG_20190827_174927.jpg.707566e359109c5f0f81e6527b616ece.jpg

IMG_20190914_142702.jpg.c4dca661901e8b8570632c25a7b731dc.jpg

IMG_20190502_182019.jpg.26c30fac07a22fc7ce2affca13540bb6.jpg

so many things so little time

:wave:

• Like 7

18 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Love the valve amp. Have you lifted another design or just gone for it yourself?

How big are the speakers? Can’t tell if they are 3ft or 3 metres!

the amp design is lifted with a few mods then built the oak case and the copper valve guards just need to machine the copper transformer cover and a new volume knob which will be in copper or brass

the speakers are my own transmission line design, to give you some idea of size the top driver is 8"

:) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finished my new valve amp made the vol knob from some brass I had laying about not completely happy may have to lay my hands on some copper instead the transformer cover is in copper

IMG_20190925_172455.jpg.76f1930e9d37377cc65f957cf81e08b6.jpg

IMG_20190925_175731.jpg.3c667794cf3917f9c82c396fbbb4d564.jpg

overall I'm pretty happy sounds great and looks really good in the dark (The wife says I also look better in the dark)

Edited by andybp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, marzman said:

It looks lovely, and great craftmanship... but what is it? 

I'm genuinely not sure if that's humor or you actually don't know as most people have never actually seen and even fewer owned a valve amplifier :lol:

37 minutes ago, andybp said:

I'm genuinely not sure if that's humor or you actually don't know as most people have never actually seen and even fewer owned a valve amplifier :lol:

Looks awesome, great project to make . . and yes I know what it is :lol:

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, andybp said:

I honestly didnt know what one is.  I've just googled it.  I'm not into music, or instruments etc so i've never crossed paths with one. :shrug:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Very cool, any finished pics of them?

well the thing with finished pictures is that I wasn't happy with the finish as i made them from softwood ply so I decided to re-do them in another material so I pulled the drivers and crossovers and threw them in a skip and to date haven't gotten around to it so many projects so little time it's not like i need them I have a really nice pair of Ruark Templar's  :shrug:

2 hours ago, andybp said:

I have a really nice pair of Ruark Templar's  :shrug:

very nice, they get good reviews B)

I got rid of all my old audio gear when I left the UK . . only recently got round to re-aquiring something new :yahoo:

IMG_0385.jpeg.8fe89570289df07623421543c99eca07.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, andybp said:

Hmm Cambridge Audio nice

did you make the rack with the nuts and studding or buy it  looks really cool

Thanks, yeah I made them. Could not find anything that suited my needs . . . if in doubt DIY it :lol:

IMG_1438.jpeg.4323e0afdc42718ab158d6974274a1c1.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

. . . . although I am getting itchy fingers again. feeling the need to redesign . .  not got any solutions yet as inspiration is failing me :lol:

well if you get inspiration keep me up to date I like your thinking so far I may even steal, I mean borrow some of your ideas ;)

1 minute ago, andybp said:

well if you get inspiration keep me up to date I like your thinking so far I may even steal, I mean borrow some of your ideas ;)

Feel free, my shopping list was . . .

1in Thick Baltic Birch Ply

1in Acme Rod

Lots of nuts and washers

Acorn Nuts for top and bottom

Some Kitchen Drawer Handles

Nice touch with the handles!

Are we just hi-fi pic whoring now? If so...

Bought this second hand for my 18th birthday (Spring 1999) for £100 off my 6th form teacher. If there’s a better way to spend £100, I’d like to know about it!

02B12761-7477-4183-AF0C-366114D85F64.jpeg

It went in storage in 2009 when I went to South America for a year. Then it came back out again in 2019 because I bought a house and also inherited this from my Great Uncle...

200500DC-C732-4E8C-B785-A900446EC2E7.jpeg

The amp still sounded ok but had some issues (this model is prone to them due to its insane operating temp of 65C, being 30 years old and 10 years of no use) and went away for service and overhaul (all electrolytic capacitors replaced for high temperature audio grade components, much cleaning, re-soldering and many other small things). I absolutely love it.

6 hours ago, andybp said:

i made them from softwood ply so I decided to re-do them in another material so I pulled the drivers and crossovers and threw them in a skip 

Damn those could have been used for something else. . .  you could have added a CD "Heart Beat" shelf (all Maple off cuts I scrounged) to your list :lol:

IMG_0053.jpeg.4d446291e27fa64f728a03cc38eebe23.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Nice touch with the handles!

54 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Are we just hi-fi pic whoring now? 

Not unless there was some DIY involved :lol:

55 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

200500DC-C732-4E8C-B785-A900446EC2E7.jpeg

Oh my, Nice Deck! B)

That takes me back .....1989 ...... youth club  .... me and a mate doing the DJ'ing . .  I always wanted some SL1210's :surrender: