Rear hub stuck

Kryptek49

I'm trying to replace my rear passenger side wheel bearing. So far I've removed the caliper, brake disc & driveshaft, as well as the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the rear knuckle. 

Next step is supposedly as simple as just removing the hub, but mine is completely stuck in place, I've tried plus gas & hammering a flat head screwdriver into the edges of the hub, but it just won't budge. 

Anyone encountered this problem before and got any tips? Removing the rear handbrake assembly would help for access but I don't know if it's necessary? 

Photos of the stuck hub belowIMG_20190909_195002.jpg.794b751ece2deefcf5b41be2acc2f79e.jpgIMG_20190909_195009.jpg.88d16e2725741d059902b5bd6d6fa789.jpgIMG_20190909_195016.jpg.722353d306aa6e3956ab17e58c50c652.jpgIMG_20190909_195035.jpg.3a3cdc9e27969789e6f12d6f69fa8583.jpg

Probably just corrosion holding it on.

If you can manage access, put bolts mostly back in the hub, but not all the way ( a couple of mm between head and knuckle) and smack the head of the bolts with lump hammer (via a bar with a socket on if it helps with access).

Remove the handbrake completely then try chapping the bearing clockwise and anti-clockwise to free off the rust, its in the hub a good 1/2" and a bugger to get off. I ended up getting a punch and tapping all around the edge to get the thing to budge, if the bearing if fooked anyway it wont matter if you miss and mash up the race.

Got it! Thanks all, it took a lot more force with a lump hammer than I expected. 

The previous owner had told me the nearside rear wheel bearing had been replaced just before sale. I think he must have got his sides mixed up as there's no way that thing had ever been removed before. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...