New looking to buy 350z

Carl30

Hello there, I've been on the toss up between buying an s2000 or a 350z, however my heart says more the 350z route, I'm off to test drive 2 tomorrow, one is the soft top version and the other is the hard top, I really like the look of the soft top and the idea of being able to remove the roof, however my fear with the soft top is it will flex alot more, I've also been told if I considered the drifting route, I'd not be allowed on track with out a roll cage, is there a noticable difference with the ridged version as a oppose to the soft top? If so and I do like how they drive tomorrow I've found my perfect one to buy, it's high mileage however has been well maintained and also I have intentions of uprating rods, pistons and all other internals anyway as I know for a fact I carnt and wont leave nothing alone lol, any advise in advance is very highly appreciated.

Good luck with the test drive. New to the 350zs myself but they tend to suffer from rust around the wheel arches and check the W brace, easy fix but something to look out for. rattles or grinding in the gear box, test drove one that had a rattle but only in 3rd gear. Go for one with the uprated Brembo kit if you can.

I went for a high milage, but the service history and condition of the car were spot on and I haven't had any major problems.

im sure someone more with more knowledge will tell you the main differences between the coupe and roadster. for me the only difference is that the roadster looks crap and the cope doesn't lol

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2019 at 22:22, Carl30 said:

I really like the look of the soft top and the idea of being able to remove the roof, however my fear with the soft top is it will flex alot more, I've also been told if I considered the drifting route, I'd not be allowed on track with out a roll cage, is there a noticable difference with the ridged version as a oppose to the soft top? If so and I do like how they drive tomorrow I've found my perfect one to buy, it's high mileage however has been well maintained and also I have intentions of uprating rods, pistons and all other internals anyway as I know for a fact I carnt and wont leave nothing alone lol, any advise in advance is very highly appreciated.

Here is a roadster with no cage that has done a few laps around Knockhill in its time ..........;)

And it is just a wee bit modified with........:drive1B)

Doubt it is for sale though.

Edited by Ebized

On 01/10/2019 at 10:45, Carl30 said:

Hi there guys thank you for the feed back, I didn't realise there were messages on here I need to turn on notifications or something, I did buy one in the end yeh I got my self a gt4 edition in yellow its number 76

Sounds good, great colour! Welcome to the Club!!!!! Get some photos posted.

Thank you, I've just put a post up there in general, I've noticed a notch cut out of the headline it's for some form of wiring loom, did any 350z come with auto lights and auto wipers?,If not then I assume its for the rear veiw mirror I'm looking to buy, it's an auto dim one with compass on there too, bit of a pointless thing however it's another little novelty lol, it's been bugging me trying to find out all day if these cars came with auto light and auto wipers on any models.

i'm no expert but considering the production years I can only assume none were made with auto lights or wipers as standard. 

I put a lot of research into my purchase and still check the market regularly for appreciation/depreciation, never seen a listing with these options. 

https://www.parkers.co.uk/nissan/350z/coupe-2003/specs/ - not listed on parkers either

11 hours ago, Carl30 said:

Thank you, I've just put a post up there in general, I've noticed a notch cut out of the headline it's for some form of wiring loom, did any 350z come with auto lights and auto wipers?,If not then I assume its for the rear veiw mirror I'm looking to buy, it's an auto dim one with compass on there too, bit of a pointless thing however it's another little novelty lol, it's been bugging me trying to find out all day if these cars came with auto light and auto wipers on any models.

There's a speaker or mic up there somewhere, if you want to run an auto dimming mirror I'd recommend you take power/negative/reverse from the stereo rear and run it up the passenger pillar, it's what I've done as have others. The dome lights are notoriously finicky and people have blown fuses or even the body control unit fiddling with the dome lights and power. If you've got the headlining off then you can also pop a gps arieal or whatnot up in that space as well.

You could retro fit auto lights or wipers from other cars. Plenty of slightly newer Nissans have these features they're essentially wired to "on" with the function acting as a relay.

Thankyou very much for your advice... greatly appreciate it, I assume the 350z didn't come with auto lights or wipers on any spec or as an option?, Have you got any pictures  of your mirror?, The one I'm looking at also has a compass on there too... I've noticed nismo do a carbon fibre cover and I think the mirror im looking at its the same cover for it. I was reading up on taking the wiring from the headline lights, it sounds a bad idea lol. Luckily mine has a factory fitted satnav its surprisingly good lol I may look into seing if I can update it some how.

2 hours ago, Carl30 said:

Thankyou very much for your advice... greatly appreciate it, I assume the 350z didn't come with auto lights or wipers on any spec or as an option?, Have you got any pictures  of your mirror?, The one I'm looking at also has a compass on there too... I've noticed nismo do a carbon fibre cover and I think the mirror im looking at its the same cover for it. I was reading up on taking the wiring from the headline lights, it sounds a bad idea lol. Luckily mine has a factory fitted satnav its surprisingly good lol I may look into seing if I can update it some how.

I picked up a second hand Navara mirror which is what several people have done. Essentially they're all similar, power negative and a reverse input to ensure the mirror isn't dimmed when reversing

I see, basically a wire from the reverse switch, I was curious to where yours wired to I've seen 2 types... one plugs in directly underneath the fixing point and the other at the left hand side of it I think I'll also need to find a loom plug to plug into the mirror 

13 hours ago, Carl30 said:

I see, basically a wire from the reverse switch, I was curious to where yours wired to I've seen 2 types... one plugs in directly underneath the fixing point and the other at the left hand side of it I think I'll also need to find a loom plug to plug into the mirror 

The navara is the lefthand side it's a standard 7pin plug (I think it's 7?) I found one on ebay but they're in no way special :)

What a bargain, the rear veiw mirror I was saying I've found for sale, I got more information from the guy I've ended up buying it it's perfect comes with original nissan receipt, box it came in, wire harness, mirror cover and full manual of how it would be fitted I'll pop some pictures up once it arrives

• Like 1