Helmets & Gloves for Track Days

Stutopia

After some input from you guys on helmets and gloves for track days, perhaps a little motorsport in future too. So far my shopping list includes:

- HANS posts

- FIA certification

- Looks cool

Probably a bit over the top for common or garden trackdays but it’s where I keep most of my thinking gear and I’m too beautiful to risk this mush ;)

Obviously it’s a go to a shop and try them on sort of purchase.

- Can anyone recommend a physical shop in the North (that’s above Derby, not Watford!)?

- Full face or chinless?

- Any other tips?

20A839E2-0EE7-4788-B71B-A9F3C4B6C18D.jpeg

Regarding gloves, I’m assuming that fireproof, comfy and well fitting are the only important things, but any other suggestions welcome.

Budget is in the region of £500.

Ta.

Advantage Motorsport at Donnington Park, Derby?  Just check they're open before you set off.

This is so much down to trying stuff on and making sure you're happy.  I'm a "seams on the outside" guy.  Personally I'd go for full face so you can passenger ride (or drive) Caterhams, karts etc without needing another lid.

• Thanks 1

I got mine from demontweeks at wrexham.  Nice showroom, lots available to try on and price wise on a par with most other places. Staff are helpful also, a lot of them are car guys like us and do track days etc

definitely try before you buy for size/comfort etc

the sales guy basically told me that any fia certified kit is made to same rigorous tests so a £250 helmet is in essence the same protection as a £5000 one. So it just boils down to the fit/styling/materials. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Demon Thieves. Even if you don’t buy from there, they’ve plenty of stuff to try on and test. 

And don't even consider chinless if you’re even remotely thinking about motorsport. When it comes to the helmet, try and ignore budget (up to a point!) and get something that you find comfortable and snug. I wanted a full carbon Arai but it wasn’t comfortable, so I ended up with a £300 Sparco instead so it works both ways. 

• Thanks 1

I like to go to J&S Accessories in Nottingham for my gear, it's a motorcycle clothing shop but we're all petrol heads (it's a chain so there might be one Futher north). They have a large selection of helmets etc. I got my last AGV K3 helmet for £70 as it was the last one in store.

Nice and light and very quiet on wind noise

• Thanks 1