Nismo exhaust advice

secretstar07979

Hello all, 

I have a 2018 370z Nismo. 

I was not happy with the stock exhaust tone feeling it too quiet and too subdued for such an aggressive looking car. 

Having spent a lot of money on the Nismo including the dual exhaust I don't really wish to rip off the new exhaust and was hoping I could make the existing system louder. Upon advice I had hi flow cats fitted which unfortunately has caused the exhaust to "rasp" at high revs. Also the engine light has now come on which of course will be the lamber sensor. I've been quoted £40 for 90 degree spacers than may fix the engine light issues but isn't guaranteed. 

So I think my questions are: 

What is the best way to bring out the grunt with the stock Nismo exhaust? Can it be done or do I need a whole new system. What about tailpipes or decatting it? Do I need to worry about loss of back pressure? Performance is important to me and I don't want to lose any grunt.  

What are the chances the spacers will fix the lamber sensor issue? I don't want to throw £40 at it for them to have no effect. How often do these things actually work?

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. 

Adam 

Be done with it and treat the car to an Ark True Dual Grip exhaust. It’s the perfect system, sounds as the car should and looks stunning from behind. Great burble, no drone or rasp. Had one on my 350z and it was the first thing I did to my Nismo.

Edited by Payco

If you're not happy with the rasp from HFCS I wouldn't reccomend decats, that'll just make it worse. Also you'll probably then need a remap to turn off the rear sensors and cure the engine management light. 

You could try gojng back to oem cats then replacing the back box with a pair of short tails. They're a popular choice and you can get resonated or non resonated depending on what sort of volume you're after. 

As Payco has said, you could just go all out and replace the whole oem system with an aftermarket one. That'd probably be my choice because there's loads to choose from depending on your needs/budget that are far superior in looks/performance/weight/sound compared to oem. 

If you're sure you don't want to get rid of the nismo exhaust you could look into opening up and gutting one of the silencers such as the back box. Not sure if this has been done before or how it would sound but it's the only way to make it louder other than HFCS/decats. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, secretstar07979 said:

How much did you pay for the short tails please? 

Think around the £250 -275 mark #buster can confirm. They're the Tarmac versions.

CORRECTION - Just checked my bank statement - they were £499. 

Edited by Wheels 370z

I sold mine with 500 miles on it when the car was 3 months old for £400. Put it up for more but had no interest for 3 months. Problem is its not really an upgrade due to its sound...I sold it to a 370z owner who just needed a new exhaust.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 2