Squeaky noise from speedometer/speedo cable?

veeg33

Been trying to find out the source of the squeaky noise and I think I have narrow it down to the speedometer cable. I'm assuming our 350z has a cable that runs from somewhere (wheel) to the speedometer?

Sound only audible when vehicle is moving, especially on slow speed. I can hear it louder when windows are down. Disappear as soon as i stopped the vehicle. Sounded the same at 1mph up to 20mph, starts to fade at around 30mph

It is a continuous squeak (something rotating) rather than something rubbing. Sounded like a cable with parts rotating on the inside hence i'm pointing towards the speedometer cable.

If this is the case, how easy is this to be replaced?

I would imagine the speedometer is just an electronic indicator receiving the ABS sensor data. I have not seen a rotating cable since the 90s.

If its louder with the window down that would suggest its outside the car.

Does the frequency increase with speed or engine RPM?

Its probably still there at 30mph but drowned out by road noise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Impressed said:

I would imagine the speedometer is just an electronic indicator receiving the ABS sensor data. I have not seen a rotating cable since the 90s.

If its louder with the window down that would suggest its outside the car.

Does the frequency increase with speed or engine RPM?

Its probably still there at 30mph but drowned out by road noise.

When windows are up/closed, the noise comes from the speedometer/dials. Frequency pretty much stayed the same from 0-30mph. Noise goes away when I'm stationary. 

Not familiar with the speedometer hence unsure if they are digital or cable =) above explanations are the reason why I pointed at the speedometer. 

They're all digital. Only mechanical cable around there is the bonnet release - a right pain if you manage to accidentally unhook it from the lever bit.

Not a vacuum leak somewhere around the brake booster? That's the the speedo sort of area.

...Though would be audible when stationary, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben–350Z said:

They're all digital. Only mechanical cable around there is the bonnet release - a right pain if you manage to accidentally unhook it from the lever bit.

Not a vacuum leak somewhere around the brake booster? That's the the speedo sort of area.

...Though would be audible when stationary, too.

Thanks for confirmation they are all digital. The noise is intermittent. And sort of matches the noise when windows are down. Not easy to try to record it and describe it properly too. Don't think its rubbing as the noise is continuous, pretty much sounded the same (same frequency is you will)  from 1mph to 30mph. Only there when car is moving, not there when stationary even revving engine doesn't create it.