Cordless impact wrench

davey_83

I've got 2 Milwaukee ones (1/2" & 3/8") , they weren't cheap but they're absolutely brilliant. 

The 3/8" one will tackle anything M8 or below and the 1/2" is ideal for the bigger stuff (like when removing subframes etc).

All my friends at work have similar impact wrenches of various makes (makita, ryobi, dewalt etc) but the Milwaukee is by far the most powerful & lightest. 

I think it's like with most things really, you get what you pay for. I decided to pay the premium because I use them everyday, whereas if it was just for at home on the odd weekend job I probably would've bought a cheaper one. 

• Like 1

We have Milwaukee at work (on a large farming estate) and they're really good. The 1/2" one tackles a surprising amount and is not too heavy, so I would imagine a 3/8" to be good for the small stuff. The 3/4" one that we have usually removes the bolts on our chipper blade clamps, and they're torqued up to 1,000 Nm when the blades are changed. I can also recommend the 4"angle grinder; the keyless disc locking is a really useful feature. The only problems we have had is with the rapid chargers but our local supplier replaced them straight away, in fact he had a spare box full so they may have a a few issues early on! 

Our mechanic (who has his own set of tools) also has his own set of Milwaukee gear. Similarly our local fencer, who I help out occasionally, also has a full set of Milwaukee grinders, drills and drivers, in fact he's just bought a Milwaukee battery chainsaw. 

If you're not using this sort of stuff every day then any of the good branded products like deWalt, bosch (blue pro series), Makita or indeed Ryobi will probably suit just fine, I've used deWalt for years myself but if I was looking for replacements then i probably wouldn't look past the Milwaukee.

I've got my eye on one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DTW285Z-Impact-Wrench-Black/dp/B01NBA6GZT, but then I have a Makita drill and 1/4" hex driver already, so batteries and chargers aren't an issue.

I also know a few people who build theatre sets for a living, and they have Makita everything (drills, drivers, various saws, routers...) used all day every day. I guess that says something about their reliability.

• Like 1

Milwaukee for me also for professional use, love the torque/rev setting and the massive Nm.

https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.uk/milwaukee-m18onefhiwf12-901x

As has been said the 3/8" is also a very tidy piece of kit as is the 100mm angle grinder.

For domestic use, most of the stuff already mentioned will work well, but not a fan of Makita.

Keep in mind that Ryobi is the domestic branch of Milwaukee and you also can't go wrong with deWalt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ian said:

I’ve got a Makita one and it’s useless on anything other than lightly tightened bolts

Interesting.... If I go for it, I'll get the bigger one :D

16 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

Keep in mind that Ryobi is the domestic branch of Milwaukee

I did not know that. Guess that explains why they seem to be the only ones who make those power rachet things Mighty Car Mods etc. use

I have the Ryobi impact gun you linked above - it's a good bit of kit and will remove most bolts, however if you can across a heavily rusted bolt it may not do the job.

I've used it to remove 300nm axle nuts and it's done that very well.  If you just want to use it occasionally I think it's very much up to the task.  

I've got quite a few ryobi bits now and am very happy with all of them.  

Bear in mind that Amazon had the bundle you linked for only £100 in last prime day sale, may be worth waiting on a good deal then buying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kryptek49 said:

Bear in mind that Amazon had the bundle you linked for only £100 in last prime day sale, may be worth waiting on a good deal then buying.

Just ran a price check and lowest for this kit was £132.84, very good value for occasion driveway use I reckon.

Screenshot_20190831-180543.png.9b82184e3bf0672984e0449f5e74dc7a.png

Prime day deals don't show up on CCC for some reason, but I can guarantee you that entire kit was £100 exactly, as I was so close to buying it as a gift for my brother but decided against it.  There are always good Ryobi deals on prime day, but its a while away now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have had the Milwaukee m18 fuel 1/2 impact gun for a few years now and my god its awesome. Its been a life saver when I was rebuilding my mini. Stuff like hub nuts, i didnt even bother knocking out the locking tab on them - just wacked on the 32mm socket and bang, off in seconds. Some of the chasis bolts on the mini had never been undone since they were put on new 16 years back and were rusted solid, but the milwaukee soon blasted them off.  Very powerful indeed.

In fact, I was so impressed with it I bought pretty much all of the rest of the M18 fuel range and have not been disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Could have done with this for my bi annual wheel and spacer swap over but I have it now and can't wait to blitz some bits.

It's a good bit of kit! I love mine.

You will need a bigger battery though, you won't get anywhere near 400NM with the 2AH one - the 4 or 5 is a necessity with that kit.

Mine struggles to remove wheel nuts if I just use my 2AH battery, but can remove rusty suspension fairly easily if I use my 5AH batteries.

• Like 1

I have an Milwaukee right angled impact ratchet thingy for tight spaces:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBQRN99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for most jobs I've been using a Kielder 1/2 drive impact wrench, a few on amazon have complained but I use my one nearly every weekend since Jan 2017 !

Kielder KWT-002-03

Also they offer a service for £40

https://www.kielder.co/collections/spares/products/fixed-price-repair-service-kwt-012-impact-wrench

Top tip - no matter what you buy, always get 2 batteries ! 

I'm impressed with both but do look at the warranty you get.

I really like Kielder for offering a 3 year warranty and the servicing which in the UK :thumbs:

• Like 2