Partners car hit while parked on street outside house - insurance states parked on driveway - are we screwed?

Kryptek49

Someone hit my girlfriend's Alfa 147 last night while it was parked outside our house, parked off the road completely on a grass verge, but right next to the curb.  They drove off and didn't leave any details, and there's no CCTV.

It's probably a write off as the bonnet, front quarter panel & passenger side door all have minor damage + the windscreens smashed.  The car is worth about £1.5-2k, she was hoping to sell it next month as well.

Her insurance shows we stated the car would be parked on the drive overnight, will they now not pay out as the car was parked in the wrong place?  Theywould have covered her for road parking, in fact just checking it would have been even cheaper than stating she parked on the drive!

It's normally parked on the drive, but we had an extra car there this week so it has been parked out front for a few days.

Never had to deal with insurance before, so hopefully someone here can weigh in with some advice.  Thank you.

I would have thought it would be covered as very often people may not be able to park on their own drive occasionally, and I cant see people having to phone up their insurance company each time they park somewhere different.

What about if you leave it at the airport whilst you are on holiday etc? 

If I remember correctly, the insurance company just ask "where is the car normally kept over night".

15 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

I’d definitely be totally honest with them. Was there a genuine reason why your normal routine of parking on the drive was disrupted? If so, then it shouldn’t really be a problem.

Yes we will definitely be honest, but don't want to put our foot in it by wording something incorrectly either.

The car was parked out front as I've got a Vauxhall Insignia in the drive which I'm doing abit of engine work on, plus my Zed in the drive.  There is enough space just about for 3 cars but we had parked it out front as it was just easier that day so I can move the motorbikes in and out of the drive freely.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be an issue, it refers to where the car is usually kept, not where it's always kept; i.e. the majority of the time.

IF they think it's an issue they will have to investigate before deciding it wasn't a one off. They will most likely do this by asking you, your wife and your neighbours where the car is usually kept. So long as there's a consistent story of it usually being on the drive more often than not then it'll be fine.

Given the value of the payout, I can't see the insurance company going to any epxense or effort to investigate.

I work for an Insurer and we ask where is it Usually kept, don't see any issues. If there was the worst they would probably do is change any additional amount that would have been due if this was what was advised, but going on what you have already said, there wouldn't have been an additional amount due.