Overheating

Northern_Alpha

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and also a new 350z owner.

I've had the car a few weeks now and over the last couple days I've noticed the car is overheating, the first time I noticed it I was driving normally and the temp gauge rose quite high but then went back to normal a few seconds later, I didn't think too much of it until today when I was stuck in traffic for about 20 mins and I noticed the temp gauge went to the max in the red, luckily I wasn't going far so once I pulled up I opened the bonnet and found the coolant boiling over! 

I've spoke to a local mechanic who said its usually the fans which have stopped working but I've checked them and they are spinning normally. I was thinking it might be a dodgy thermostat but didn't want to fork out £50 for a new one until I was sure. 

is this problem common on 350z's? any ideas guys/girls? TIA 

Just a completely left field idea, but the fans are spinning in the right direction? Without looking it up and from memory if they are disconnected and the wires put back on the wrong way around they spin the wrong way.

Disclaimer I could be making this up but sure I read it on here somewhere!