Judder driving me nuts!

andy james

Hi guys. I know the car isn't stock but your opinions would be very helpful as I have run out of ideas. 

I've had a judder from the steering wheel for a while and after replacing the the rotors,pads,bananas arms,(smaller shake now),balanced both front tyres and yesterday I changed the track rod ends she still shakes when I brake! The wheel bearings,wishbones and lower control arms have been replaced within the past 3 years. I've got a Hunter Check booked for next Saturday but other than the rack being knackered I'm at a loss as what to try next!

30 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Andy have you checked the lateral run out of the rotors as it sounds like you have DTV mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Mj_G5LIz8

Thanks Alex.

The rotors and pads were the first thing I changed about 500 miles ago. I have to say it seemed to cure things for a while for maybe 100 miles or so and then it started again!

Yes, I get that but did you check the lateral run out?

If you have lateral run out then the new pads and rotors will fix it for a while.

I always check the lateral run out every time I fit new rotors as a matter of practice.

Have a look at the vid that I sent over.

29 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Yes, I get that but did you check the lateral run out?

If you have lateral run out then the new pads and rotors will fix it for a while.

I always check the lateral run out every time I fit new rotors as a matter of practice.

Have a look at the vid that I sent over.

Thanks Alex. An eye opener for anyone running big brakes or not with this problem. Will check discs with dial gauge tomorrow,naively thought that new discs,pads and hubs would run true!

I would expect you to find excessive lateral run out.

You have replaced a lot of stuff including the hub so I would expect that there is some crude on one or more of the faces which may just be a flake of rust.

After you have checked the runout, I would remove the new hub that you previously fitted and start the assembly all over again, making sure that all the faces are meticulously clean.

If this is indeed the issue, then you will/may have to replace the rotors again.

I am not a fan of the runout correction shims as I prefer to find the root cause.

• Like 1