Suspension Mystery

Hazzmul

Hi All, I have a conundrum that I can’t figure out and need some expert advice! I got my zed about 2 years ago, 85k miles with standard suspension. It came with 30mm spacers on the front and 40mm spacers on the rear. A bit wide for me, but there was never any rubbing so I have left them until now. 

A few months ago and about 10k miles since I bought it, I started hearing a faint rubbing from the rear right wheel when going over bumps on the motorway - nothing from the left.

I figured the shocks / springs had finally given up so changed to Tein s springs and Bilstein b6s as I know a lot of you on the forum have - I wasn’t interested in significant lowering. 

Unfortunately the rubbing is still there - still only on the right. As a temp fix I have taken the rear spacers off and it is fine now. I will be changing to narrower spacers but want to fix the underlying issue. Any ideas what the issue could be??? 

The bushes are wearing and it allows the wheel out of line slightly - on Rays those spacers would rub - get an alignment check It will be out of camber :)

Or the bolts moved :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Thanks 1

Thanks keyser. They’re on Rays and weren’t rubbing for the first 18 months which is why I’m scratching my head (maybe previous owner had the arches rolled?).

Which bolt are you referring to? I checked all the bushings when I did the springs and shocks and they looked ok, but appreciate I may have missed something. 

Now there are 3 things it could be it sounds like an alignment check is the next step.

40mm is fairly aggressive spacer wise. I imagine you didn't notice the rubbing due to being at stock height but that'll definitely cause some interference with the arches (most likely the inner lip of the rear bumper, next to where it attaches to the rear quarter).

A 40mm spacer on stock rays is only 5mm less aggressive than when i used to have my Aodhan's with a 25mm spacer and i had to trim the bumper quite a lot to stop it all rubbing!

Double check the cam bolts at the inner edge of the spring bucket and the camber arm. I doubt they'd of shifted though as mine were crazy stiff to adjust last time i had an alignment :headhurt:

Pic of mine with the Aodhan's. This was after i removed a good 10mm of rear bumper plastic just to stop it rubbing!

IMG_20181105_140642.jpg.702298b92d959a76aa4ac2b1288ee85d.jpg

Imo the only fault i can imagine is the spacers. Something like a 25mm would be much more suitable unless you fancy trimming bits off the car to get the fitment perfect :shrug:

• Thanks 1

Ha! Thanks silverthorn... I don’t fancy any trimming and am definitely going to go down to 25s all round. 

Thanks for all the advice - I’ll check bolts, re-check bushings, change the spacers put and get the alignment done. Hopefully that will sort it all out! :thumbs:

• Like 1