Fan controls not working properly

Kryptek49

I've just got back from a 1800 mile road trip with the car, and there wasn't a single problem with it the entire trip.

I started the car today, and the fan speed control setting doesn't seem to be working correctly (car is an HR if that makes a difference)

The fan speed has the following settings - Off, Auto, Low->High

Off & auto work fine, but the first 4 "notches" of the Low->High dial seem to now function as Auto, so the fans basically function on max until the desired temperature has been reached.

The next notch then goes back to normal, so notch 5 now equals notch 1.

Anyone experienced this before? I've heard the cable behind the heater controls can be quite fragile, but I haven't recently messed with this so don't know how it could have got damaged.

If the above explanation doesn't make sense I can take a video later today.

Thanks

Annoyingly, I can't find the tread I saw a picture of the dismantled AC controls - think it was on my350z, thread about swapping all the LEDs. But, I do remember that there's sort of two rings of copper contacts on the board inside. The knob presumably shorts across different sets so control the speed.

Maybe you've got a bit of dirt in there stopping it working? Though if it is that, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to clean...

9 minutes ago, Ben–350Z said:

Annoyingly, I can't find the tread I saw a picture of the dismantled AC controls - think it was on my350z, thread about swapping all the LEDs. But, I do remember that there's sort of two rings of copper contacts on the board inside. The knob presumably shorts across different sets so control the speed.

Maybe you've got a bit of dirt in there stopping it working? Though if it is that, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to clean...

I think it's this thread here: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/429871-interior-led-conversion-3.html but it looks like the pictures in section 2B are corrupted and show random 350z pictures instead of the control internals, damn.

No idea how dirt could have messed it up.  I'll try pull it all apart tomorrow and see if there's anything obvious, it's just really odd how it started happening so randomly

11 hours ago, Kryptek49 said:

That's the one! But yea, pics are a bit messed up. Though this post https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/429871-interior-led-conversion.html#post7329616 has the pre-facelift board still, and I think they're fairly similar.

What I suggested about something getting in there is just a guess, really...

All fixed now after cleaning the connectors on the ribbon cable going to the controls.  

None of the controls were working properly actually, so hot wasn't hot, and it wouldn't blow air on the windscreen, but all back to normal now fortunately.

• Like 1