Negativity/hostility towards the Z

Dudey52

Anyone else find that the Z attracts unwanted negativity/hostility?

I've owned mine for almost 3 years now and I've had a few bad incidents from bitter folk.

Like a couple of days ago when I went to fill up at Tesco. I was approaching the pumps, there was a free space at the front. A lady in her BMW saw me coming and opened her door fully, pretending to get items out from the passenger floor. She completely blocked my path so I had to brake and stop. It was so obvious she did this deliberately.

Another time while in a car park looking for a space an aggressive man came over claiming I nearly hit him. He started lecturing me saying I should slow down before I have an accident. Then proceeding to say "what car is that? 350z pffffft." I was doing about 5 mph.

This is just a couple of things that has happened recently, there has been numerous over the 3 years of ownership.

Even though I do get the odd compliment I've never had this much hostility caused by a car before.

Its not as if its a £50k luxury car. It's an 11 year old Nissan and people still get all bitter about it! 

This is the 4th car I've owned and has been the worst for bad incidents like this. I used to get hardly any at all.

Would be interesting to hear other Z owners experiences.

Edited by Dudey52
  • Like 1

I'd say the opposite. Compared to my old Astra people treat me like a saint. I'm always being waved out of junctions and getting flashed to pull Infront of them on the motorway etc. 

I think alot of it could be down to the colour and any mods done to the car. Mine is a sunset with no external mods, it's not too much louder than stock also.

If it was black with a spoiler and a bodykit I double people would be as friendly xD

• Like 1

I've come across this also and in people generally, what folks have done to you they'll do to more unsuspecting motorists before long so I try not to take it personally.

I've found of late people generally can be more agitated and short with one another and this in my thinking is due to extra stress we all are taking on from things like social media and news outlets showing more and more negativity which our subconscious soaks up unknowingly.

When people give other people $hit, they're not happy in their life at the moment as it doesn't make sense for a happy fulfilled individual to go round being horrible. Dr. Bruce Lipton study and understand of the above is very interesting.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AntelopeSam said:

I'd say the opposite. Compared to my old Astra people treat me like a saint. I'm always being waved out of junctions and getting flashed to pull Infront of them on the motorway etc. 

I think alot of it could be down to the colour and any mods done to the car. Mine is a sunset with no external mods, it's not too much louder than stock also.

If it was black with a spoiler and a bodykit I double people would be as friendly xD

Mines all stock in gunmetal grey. stock exhaust too

Edited by Dudey52
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I've come across this also and in people generally, what folks have done to you they'll do to more unsuspecting motorists before long so I try not to take it personally.

I've found of late people generally can be more agitated and short with one another and this in my thinking is due to extra stress we all are taking on from things like social media and news outlets showing more and more negativity which our subconscious soaks up unknowingly.

When people give other people $hit, they're not happy in their life at the moment as it doesn't make sense for a happy fulfilled individual to go round being horrible. Dr. Bruce Lipton study and understand of the above is very interesting.

This makes sense. Some good points

• Like 1

You want unwarranted aggression when driving a car? Trying owning a Porsche or a bright orange Bmw :lol: 

Only ever had positive comments and actions towards me when I owned my 350. The MX5 just looks a bit meh so I fly under the radar with that one! 

• Like 2

I had mixed comments about my zed.  In the main I had a lot more positive compliments.  I very often had complete random strangers coming up to me and saying how nice the car was. People completely ignoring more expensive cars and staring at the zed. A lot of kids especially seemed to appreciate it. I assumed because they recognised the car from Gran Turismo or Fast & Furious etc..

However I did have few people making negative comments like shouting out "w@nker", or randomly sticking their finger up at me. Absolutely no idea why as it wasn't as if I was speeding or driving like an idiot. I just put it down to jealousy.

I have had an old dear jump out in the road in front of me to tell me to slow down as i was speeding (I wasnt, I was doing 15mph), which I calmly offered to show to said old dear on my dashcam if she didn't believe me. Which then caused her daughter to stick her head through my window and shout at me to not be aggressive towards her mum, whilst covering me in spit in the process.  Lovely people in Peterborough...

I get a mix of appreciative nods and thumbs up and shakes of the head round my village, but that's probably down the t**ts that speed along the roads most of the time. Guilty by association I guess!

24 minutes ago, skate2create said:

I have had an old dear jump out in the road in front of me to tell me to slow down as i was speeding (I wasnt, I was doing 15mph),

I had an old man wave his walking stick at me in rage once when I accelerated past him at about 15mph. I think it was that the car sounded like it was going fast but it wasnt really.

• Haha 1

yea had lots of negativity with the 350Z. Boyracers which ive had to tell off sternly for driving like tits around me. Had old ladies playacting and being dramatic, people driving on the opposite side of the road to prove a point and overtake.

Try to ignore them. Dont give them the attention they are seeking. 

With the Nismo the kids appreciated it more. So no issues there. Give them a thumbs up or a rev. So not all bad. 

Also found people are more likely to try and start something by tailgaiting or behaving erratically. I had a guy tailgating in a Golf GTi obviously remapped. I gave him the dirtiest look when he pulled up beside me.

Just do you, dont get out the car. It may be that you need to pull over and let them **** off and you can get back to driving in peace. 

Ive had to do this a few times. For some reason they just sit there till I wave then past.

99% positives always when driving the zed...the only times I get a bit annoyed is when someone is tailgating me but it is understandable as I would probably do the same when I see a nice car ,just want to see it closely ;)

• Haha 1

I never really got hostility but certainly if you think boy racers wanting to race you in a 350z is bad you haven't even lived! My white R33 Skyline with bodykit attracted them like maggots to a carcass! Funny enough my Celica GT4 didnt at all. The VX220 gets no bother as everyone thinks its a Ferrari :lol:

Edited by coldel

We have to remember that the 350z attracts a lot of idiots now due to how cheap they are. 

To be honest, I saw a 350z driver revving his car constantly and I thought, what a space cadet.....

if anything is cheap, idiots will but it. Just like people that buy Chinese pit bikes, anti social idiots, 90%. 

You don’t get many idiots driving Aston Martins for example, some but not many in comparison.....

I think it's important to consider that some of the negativity you might be receiving while driving your Z might be completely unrelated to the fact that you're driving a Z. However, if you have the pre-conceived notion that people might be negative towards your Z, you'll attribute any negativity you get, to your Z.

I'd say looking back over my last few years of ownership I've had much more positive than negative attention. It's certainly an attention grabbing car. Children either don't notice it or absolutely love it - I've had kids embarrassing their parents by running over and asking me to rev it - that happens quite often. Teenage chavs are a mixed bag, and probably the only ones I've ever received any negative attention from, though nothing significant at all. I just put it down to them either being jealous or just trying to show off in front of their mates. I had one chav shout over "NAH I DONT LIKE YOUR CAR MATE", which I took as a complement to be honest. I've found dads and older adults will stare in interest quite a bit. I've had older adults talk to me about it a few times, usually asking what it is and being shocked that it's such a relatively old car, always very positive.

Of course, if you're driving like a dick then everyone's going to think you're a dick. But that goes for any car.

Edited by colesl4w
  • Like 1

Used to get fairly positive vibes from people with the Z, actually got annoyed at the people that would talk to you at petrol stations lol :blush:  Also ..might depend what exhaust you have, sometimes it would sound like your flying when your not.  In terms of the petrol station person...if they genuinely opened the door as you were coming right up to them, I'd simply get out and ... firmly...shut their door and tell them why... lol :)

Edited by AMT

I've always had a positive reaction towards the zed. People waving, smiling and taking pictures. However, just the other day I was trundling along through a street and a old citroen saxo overtook me on a narrow street and slammed his brakes on after which the driver and his passenger stuck fingers up at me and sped off. I was doing about 15mph and did nothing wrong. Looked like a couple of chavs so maybe it was just jealousy?

Nearly all positive comments when I'm in my Zed as well other than the odd glare from people who decide I'm speeding based purely on the look and sound of the car. Work colleagues like to give me a lot of stick about being a boy racer though. This despite the fact I think I'm the only person on the team with a clean driving license :rolleyes:

The standard of other people's driving though I find is much worse. You get the boy racers who want race you at the lights, people tailgating through town to show their car is just as fast, because at 30mph the Zed is almost flat out :rolleyes: Motorways are the worst though. On one side is an endless stream of knobbers who have to prove a point by overtaking you, again to show how fast their car is, who then pull in and slow back down, even when I'm just happy chugging along at 70mph with the cruise control. Then, on the other side, people going at 60-65mph who speed up when you go to overtake. Had people go from 60 to 80 whilst trying to overtake before! Supercharger comes in handy here when I'm feeling mischievous, doesn't take long for them to disappear from view in the mirror :wave:

• Like 2