Changing alloy colour.

gangzoom

Having had black alloys on the car now for a few months I really like the look of them, and even my wife!

So I'm thinking of changing the colour of the 'winter' set of alloys to matt black.

Not looked into things like Powercoating etc for a long long time, any advice on which way to go?

The wheels are currently off the car and will get new tires mounted this autumn so no issues with sending them off some where etc, but am keen to get a finish as close to OEM as possible and that will last day to day use - Car is currently doing 15K per year and will get kerbed so the finish needs to last well. 

Any experiences of the best way to do it?

46533594835_79b48674c7_c.jpg

You get those knatty plastic rim protectors but I doubt they are really that effective? Best thing get some smaller rims and super high profile tyres (taxi stylie) keeps the rim off the kerb , car wont look very stylish though.:lol:

powdercoating is probably your best bet but yeah ...nothing will protect them from kerb damage apart from maybe having a tyre with rim protection which kind of works sometimes...

it is not expensive and recon you will pay for your wheels roughly £50 each

I had my 3 piece done recently and guess what...no matter how carefull I have been until last week with them I still managed to scratch one of the rear wheels :surrender: (car is really wide and trying to park correctly in a tiny space was the end of it)

• Sad 1

Thanks for the comments, I know kerbing damage is down to the driver (ie: Me), just want to make sure its not going to end up with some tacky finish that half peels/falls off. 

Current 22s look fab, but low profile tyres and 2 meter width makes avoiding kerbs not easy, they have picked up more kerb damage in 6K than the 20s did in 20k!! Ride is also harsh, and less efficient by about 5-10%, add in 275 section all round isn't half loud at M-way speeds, come winter I'm going to put the spare 20s back on which are currently silver. 

48395616702_8efcc81495_c.jpg

Had play with PhotoShop with 20's in mat black, the car will look almost as good as on 22s but without the drawback :).

Will go and get some quote locally for powercoating. 

48453007996_c61722a180_c.jpg

44270389464_a586da5e9d_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

3 hours ago, stanski said:

You get those knatty plastic rim protectors but I doubt they are really that effective? Best thing get some smaller rims and super high profile tyres (taxi stylie) keeps the rim off the kerb , car wont look very stylish though.:lol:

Or keep your distance from kerbs and get a taxi to the pavement :teeth:

• Haha 2