Need advice please and query about airbags

stanski

Unfortunately someone went into the back of Lucys M2 yesterday when she was picking our daughter up from school.

She was stationary and some idiot on the wrong side of the road hit her rear n/s quarter panel shunted the car a few metres. Thankfully they are both ok although Lucy is in hospital with concussion. Her nose hit the top of the steering wheel in the impact but the airbag didnt go off? Why do you think? Because it wasn't right on the front or back bumper? Do they not have impact sensors to pick that up?

I am guessing the car is a write off see photo?

Frankly I dont care it did its job and protected them?  Looks like the rear axle took the hit and the wing absorbed some of it?

Thankfully they had just got in, seatbelts on she just turned the key to start the engine.

Be careful people.:surrender:

IMG_20190729_183431828_HDR.jpg

Christ Almighty, that’s a rotten thing tae happen.  There’ll be some technical reason for the airbag not going off, I couldn’t begin tae speculate I’m afraid.  

All ok is a good result the motor is just a piece of metal and will be replaced.  Hope the perp gets a thoroughly good ‘thrashing’ figuratively speaking, from the law! 

• Like 1

Holy crap Stan!. Glad everyone is ok and not seriously injured. 

"The sensor is the device that tells the bag to inflate. Inflation happens when there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10 to 15 miles per hour (16 to 24 km per hour). A mechanical switch is flipped when there is a mass shift that closes an electrical contact, telling the sensors that a crash has occurred. The sensors receive information from an accelerometer built into a microchip."

Maybe the impact was not quite enough to trigger the airbag? Its worth asking the question for sure from BMW

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The G Man said:

Christ Almighty, that’s a rotten thing tae happen.  There’ll be some technical reason for the airbag not going off, I couldn’t begin tae speculate I’m afraid.  

All ok is a good result the motor is just a piece of metal and will be replaced.  Hope the perp gets a thoroughly good ‘thrashing’ figuratively speaking, from the law! 

Thanks. It was an elderly couple they think the guy had a medical issue and just lost control. I have dashcam footage from a nearby car at the time, just seen it today and puts a totally different picture on events. The other car was right over on the wrong side of the road and smacked Lucys car with some force, enough to shunt it about 3-4 car lengths forward half onto path! I never knew this. It was a major impact. 

They are going to take his license away apparently?

6 hours ago, docwra said:

Definitely worth a mail to BMW UK, if its enough for her to hit head on steering wheel the bags should be going off - they might want to look at the car a bit more closely to see if there was some issue. 

Deffo contacting BMW tomorrow thanks, guy must have been doing at least 35 maybe 40mpg?

5 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Holy crap Stan!. Glad everyone is ok and not seriously injured. 

"The sensor is the device that tells the bag to inflate. Inflation happens when there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10 to 15 miles per hour (16 to 24 km per hour). A mechanical switch is flipped when there is a mass shift that closes an electrical contact, telling the sensors that a crash has occurred. The sensors receive information from an accelerometer built into a microchip."

Maybe the impact was not quite enough to trigger the airbag? Its worth asking the question for sure from BMW

Thanks mate, Lucy is in a lot of back pain lay flat. They are doing a full.mri scan to be safe. Thankfully my 9 year old daughter is fine.

Deffo speaking to bmw tomorrow

Quick update to this. The car has been written off cost too much to repair apparently needs a new bodyshell! Further discussion with the garage revealed that the O/s alloys were damaged in such a way, the car must have been crushed against the roads kerb, rear axle took the hit and the floor under the back seat was crumpled proud like a moutain! 

My daughter was so lucky as that was her normal seating position. (She was in the front this time)

Just glad the car did its job and protected them, but still confused why no airbag or pretensioners went off , when this car was hit with such force?

Anyway stay safe out there folks and wear your seatbelts.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

How did the scan go Stan? All ok?

Glad the car did its job, sounds like it too the brunt. What you going to replace it with?

All scans clear thankfully ,she is at home now, on painkillers, still a bit fussy but ok. Has to do physio, doubt she will be driving for some time.

Re car she wants another M2 but different colour, doesn't want to be reminded. Trouble is the limited choice for that type of car, although she might look at a few options, but its early days.

Thanks for asking mate kind of you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Glad everyone is fine! Weird the airbag didn't go off?

Glad you daughter is fine, its great to see how safe cars are these days.

Hope everyone is back driving soon!

Thanks yes glad the car did its job.

M2 supposed to have a lot of sensors all over the place? Apparently some systems can deploy airbags twice, maybe initial deployment with a gradual decrease not sure.

Fortunately the M2 seems to have a stiff bodyshell.

20 hours ago, stanski said:

Further discussion with the garage revealed that the O/s alloys were damaged in such a way, the car must have been crushed against the roads kerb, rear axle took the hit and the floor under the back seat was crumpled proud like a moutain! 

Maybe the airbags did not deploy as a lateral sideways movement not forward/back scenario?

7 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

Maybe the airbags did not deploy as a lateral sideways movement not forward/back scenario?

I dont know but that car took a proper beating. I went to pick up some things today and the repair garage showed me the floor and the alloy wheels were trashed. The rear one actually split with the impact. They also mentioned if the reat set belt was clipped in even with nobody in it , all the bags would have gone off? Not sure how true that is but worth remembering for the future.maybe?

43 minutes ago, stanski said:

I dont know but that car took a proper beating. I went to pick up some things today and the repair garage showed me the floor and the alloy wheels were trashed. The rear one actually split with the impact. They also mentioned if the reat set belt was clipped in even with nobody in it , all the bags would have gone off? Not sure how true that is but worth remembering for the future.maybe?

interesting so....... No Seatbelt = No Airbags 

17 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

interesting so....... No Seatbelt = No Airbags 

It cant be true because they had the front ones clipped in, engine running about to drive off in gear? 

Honesty dont know I called the bmw dealer but they referred me to BMW uk who said they cant offer technical info I need to contact the local dealer!!! Ffs!

I've just googled under what circumstances do airbags deploy and i get the following:

For the driver or passenger airbags to deploy in a crash, all the following minimum criteria must be met: The vehicle must be travelling at more than about 25km/h. The angle of impact is within around thirty degrees either side of the car's centre line (around 60 degrees in total).

Looking at those pictures i wouldnt be surprised if the impact was greater than 30 degrees from centre.

6 minutes ago, marzman said:

Jeez Stan just reading this... sounds awful.  Looks like you guys were very lucky as this could have been a lot worse! 

Hopefully Lucy can recover without any lasting injuries.  :console:

Thanks mate, yes although its been a horrible week, we have got through the worse (I hope?) At least they are home , luckily we should have been on holiday for 2 weeks from this week, so it means I can look after her, then try and work from home as much as I can.

Anway thanking lucky stars.

7 minutes ago, marzman said:

I've just googled under what circumstances do airbags deploy and i get the following:

For the driver or passenger airbags to deploy in a crash, all the following minimum criteria must be met: The vehicle must be travelling at more than about 25km/h. The angle of impact is within around thirty degrees either side of the car's centre line (around 60 degrees in total).

Looking at those pictures i wouldnt be surprised if the impact was greater than 30 degrees from centre.

I honestly dont know but you would think a company like BMW would have been pretty hot on safety features?

Mate, I'm wishing everyone a speedy recovery! I'm also hoping you're keeping a log of all this because I'd be fuming if I bought a brand new BMW from the dealer and couldn't get an answer as to why the car didn't deploy airbags. 

This could have been a lot worse and BMW need to give you and the rest of the buying public confidence that they are safe to drive/be in passenger in. 

Keep a logbook and make sure you count up minutes taken to get an answer and names of people. Any more than 3 phone calls at 10 mins a piece and I'd be emailing their CEO etc. 

That's **** poor customer service and shocking all around from BMW. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Umster said:

Keep a logbook and make sure you count up minutes taken to get an answer and names of people. Any more than 3 phone calls at 10 mins a piece and I'd be emailing their CEO etc. 

This ^^ is a good idea!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Umster said:

Mate, I'm wishing everyone a speedy recovery! I'm also hoping you're keeping a log of all this because I'd be fuming if I bought a brand new BMW from the dealer and couldn't get an answer as to why the car didn't deploy airbags. 

This could have been a lot worse and BMW need to give you and the rest of the buying public confidence that they are safe to drive/be in passenger in. 

That's **** poor customer service and shocking all around from BMW. 

Thanks I know. At the moment I am focusing on getting Lucy back to health but have kept a log of events anyway, for insurance, hospital etc.