CATs vibrating and rattling. Time for an upgrade?

RoadHog

Hi all

I had an issue New Year’s Eve where my flexi pipe split causing back pressure issues so had a custom exhaust place weld some plates on (had the other side done too as it’s been on there same amount of time in case it cracked too) since then, when the car comes down the revs, no matter which gear, always exactly 2000rpm it makes a rattle/crunch noise from under the footwells. Garage are adamant it’s heat shields as they were loose and I noticed after testing at 200rpm you could actually sometimes feel something hit the under side of the car in the foot well so I thought they’re probably right, Iv left it since then and I believe the driver side shield has fallen off since so doesn’t sound as bad but the passenger side one sounds horrendous now at 2000rpm and isle (but nice when accelerating lol) almost sounds like they’re blowing now it’s a lot louder so I’m wondering if they’ve had it and thinking about replacing them

looking for advice on either a repair option or replacement option, maybe some sport ones? I already have the optional extra nismo back box so it sounds quite nice once accelerating so maybe some sports cats might finish it off nicely

Don’t really want to spend any more than 300-400 on a bit of a budget I’m afraid but open to sound advice and if worth pushing the pennies then maybe

thanks in advance 

Martyn

12 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Just remove the heat shields, simples, and you will have plenty change from your 300-400 budget to have a week in Spain.

Guessing not as dangerous as the garage made out then?  :) is it easy to do? Sorry I haven’t managed to get under the car yet to look 

Gotta be worth a go grinding the heatshields off to see if that cures your issue. If it doesn't then sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade to some high flow cats :teeth:

I've got torqen ones (£419) and can't fault them.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Gotta be worth a go grinding the heatshields off to see if that cures your issue. If it doesn't then sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade to some high flow cats :teeth:

Yes il defo give it a go worth a try! And thanks I did see them and wondered if they were good  :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2019 at 06:51, Jack94 said:

Ever had these through an MOT? What were the CO and HC figures? What CPI/CPSI rating are those Torqen cats?

12 hours ago, msitpro said:

Ever had these through an MOT? What were the CO and HC figures? What CPI/CPSI rating are those Torqen cats?

I've had them fitted about a year now and they went through an MOT absolutely fine in April.

Can't remember the figures, @Adrian@TORQEN can probably give you more info on the cats themselves. 

5 hours ago, Jack94 said:

I've had them fitted about a year now and they went through an MOT absolutely fine in April.

Can't remember the figures, @Adrian@TORQEN can probably give you more info on the cats themselves. 

Could you dig out the test cert? Curious to gather a bit of test data from people.

On 08/08/2019 at 14:23, msitpro said:

Could you dig out the test cert? Curious to gather a bit of test data from people.

Sure I'll have a look for it when I get a chance, although I've just moved house so god knows where it is :lol: