Driving with low OIL - ADVICE NEEDED!

shak7seven

Hey all

I purchased an 05 GT Z in Feb this year with 120k on the clock, havent had any driving issues with it yet. However I was sold the car with low oil from dealership who claimed to have serviced it :doh: my fault for not checking anyway! I was having dipstick issues aswell! 

I had my oil changed in Feb anyway as my check engine light came on for an unrelated issue and had the oil level checked. I topped it up intermittently at this point and still guessing the level. 4 months (and a two thousand or so miles) on and I had a p3 service at Horsham, and the mechanic tells me I had very little oil in. He advised engine may have been damaged and to check if there are any oil leaks.

I havent noticed any leaks etc and a week on from the service (only driven 100 miles) still no driving issues. Basically Im worried about the health of my engine and whether there had been damage!! I know it depends on several factors but as I said engine hasnt given any faults. I also got a compression test to check general health of engine components the results were as follows: 

#1 - 14.2 bar

#2 - 15 bar

#3 - 14.5 bar

#4 - 13 bar

#5 - 13.5 bar

#6 - 12.5 bar

Should I be worried?? Ive already had the oil changed twice now in 5 months and ive topped up in between, so im hoping my engine hasnt had any bad damage!! If any other info needed I can provide it thank you

Definitely keep the oil topped up and give it a check once every week or two.

At 120k it's likely using a bit more oil. You can also go up to maybe a 10w40 as a little thicker oil may help.

DEs have the worst dipstick design in the world ever. I always follow sound advice I gathered from the forum when checking oil.

Hi it doesn't matter what you drive .always check the oil level. I have a 2006 nissan 350z GT uprev. I always check the pil. .Yes it does use oil but not much. I do a lot of miles going to wok.  It takes a few mins to check ..do it or loose it 

As has been said check your oil weekly from cold on a flat surface.

Any damage that has occurred due to running with low oil is done and is not reversible.

Just run it until it lets go and worry about it then.