Climate change , worlds gone mad. I blame the heat.

stanski

9 hours ago, gangzoom said:

At least use Google just once before making up imaginary  'facts' :).

UK grid demand is FALLING not going up, nuclear contribution has stayed the same over a decade, wind has gone from been nothing to generation almost as much as nuclear, solar is currently in the same situation as wind was in the last decade but will catch up quick.

Our small 4KW solar PV panels already generate more electricity than we use (car charging excluded), we are having a battery storage system fitted very soon which will reduce our day time electricity use to roughly 2kWh per day (30p) all year round averaged. 

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-electricity-generation-2018-falls-to-lowest-since-1994

2023 and then every 5-10years later another nuclear power station will stop producing electricity = current operating plans.

Heavy industry is in major decline over the past few years I.e steel industry, so yes there probably has been a decline in usage but there will be a turning point.

Sometimes working in the industry’s actually has more current information than google. But having an opinion isn’t wrong either.

i hope you have done your calculations correct and bought the panels at the time the government actually gave good returns otherwise unless it’s your forever home it might be the next owner who benefits from it.

10 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Anyone actually interested in FACTs on UK energy generation there is a whole government department website for it.

Latest report is Q1 2019, shows UK grid demand continues to fall - 6% compared to Q1 2018. Renewables generated 35.8% of UK energy in Q1 compared to 16% for Nuclear. I suspect by the end of Q4 2019 renewables may even match gas for UK electricity generation. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/electricity-section-5-energy-trends 

Fact= a few reactors have been offline for a long time due to outages so the power generation is well below their normal target.

car production industry is buggered recently = lower energy use. Just because figures show something doesn’t mean it shows the big long term picture.

I thought this was the climate ‘bantz’ thread?

If it’s a serious one, for virtue signalling, I recently switched to a renewables only energy supplier and have dropped chicken from a number of my favourite rice based recipes. I only eat beef on special occasions and have stopped doing trumps on Sundays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

haha Stu!

Renewable energy certainly isn't free, it costs money and resource to build and wind turbines do fail and need repairing but that is the nature of machinery and not confined only to wind turbines. The lifetime costs of power production used to be heavily weighted towards traditional power generation but now renewables over their lifetimes cost less. I have to agree I would prefer my energy to come from renewable sources and in all honesty it makes absolute sense that as an island surrounded by windy seas that we make the most of it. 

Amazing how companies store electricity though, it isn't all in batteries - they use hydropumping stations so use the spare electricity to pump water to an uphill reservoir then when demand increases for power they release the water which runs down through the turbines creating electricity. Clever stuff.

37 minutes ago, coldel said:

I have to agree I would prefer my energy to come from renewable sources and in all honesty it makes absolute sense that as an island surrounded by windy seas that we make the most of it. 

This is my view, I just don't get why people seem so resistant to this idea of wind/solar energy generation. Whats the obsession with maintaining traditional ways of energy generation if the tech is now here to capture the most abundant energy we have on this planet, sun and weather?

Let not forget without the sun we woudlnt even have any fossils fuels.

Am seriously thinking of adding another 10KW of solar PV to our existing 4KW system, financially it doesn't make sense, but there is something attractive about been able to generate your own electricity/energy.

Edited by gangzoom

33 minutes ago, evilscorp said:

2050 fusion = problems solved.

We already have access to the biggest fusion plant we can imagine. Its going to push temperatures in the UK to nearly 40 degrees. It comes out every day, and will continue to do so for billions more years.

The fact we now have tech that can directly capture this energy instead of waiting millions of years for gravity to do its thing is amazing.

56 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

This is my view, I just don't get why people seem so resistant to this idea of wind/solar energy generation.

Like others I believe that we do need to utilise renewable energy and stop relying on fossil fuels, the sooner we do that the better. But as I’ve said before, the current “solutions” still rely heavily on fossil fuels themselves to produce and maintain. That’s not a solutions, that’s a stop gap, and investing heavily in this now is simply shifting the problem. Investment should be made into truly renewable energy.

And that is why I’m resistant.

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Amazing how companies store electricity though, it isn't all in batteries - they use hydropumping stations so use the spare electricity to pump water to an uphill reservoir then when demand increases for power they release the water which runs down through the turbines creating electricity. Clever stuff.

I remember seeing a project where they used kinetic energy regeneration in the form of a slight gradient with some rail tracks and huge weights which are pulled up the hill when the energy is in abundance or cheap then when the energy is needed again it is allowed to roll back down the hill to create electricity similar to F1 braking.

No doubt some idiot would get run over when out hiking.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ekona said:

I don’t give a toss about the environment. It was here a long time before I got here, and it’ll be here a long time after I’m gone. Anything after that ain’t my problem. 

Brilliant :teeth:I have the same opinion 

2 hours ago, evilscorp said:

I remember seeing a project where they used kinetic energy regeneration in the form of a slight gradient with some rail tracks and huge weights which are pulled up the hill when the energy is in abundance or cheap then when the energy is needed again it is allowed to roll back down the hill to create electricity similar to F1 braking.

No doubt some idiot would get run over when out hiking.

Now if you tie that to hard labour prison camps, pushing heavy weights uphill, at least the inmates can be doing some good.

Failing that say its a fitness boot camp, get those overweight kids up there, obviously when they finish with the wheel barrows to China, come on I am not mean! ;)

We can have a reality tv show bit like love island but aimed at fitness and your reward for pulling or pushing the most weight uphill that day is a Big Mac. No spray tan or Caterpillar eyebrows required. 

Sorry Boris me again got this great idea.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilogikal1 said:

Love Island is the one single reason to divert all energy usage away from “entertainment” and plow it all into transport.

Couldn't agree more. Just imagine those tv broadcasts will be making their way across space , any waiting alien civilization thinking about colonisation here will have second thoughts. :blink:

On 25/07/2019 at 13:33, stanski said:

Now if you tie that to hard labour prison camps, pushing heavy weights uphill, at least the inmates can be doing some good.

Failing that say its a fitness boot camp, get those overweight kids up there, obviously when they finish with the wheel barrows to China, come on I am not mean! ;)

We can have a reality tv show bit like love island but aimed at fitness and your reward for pulling or pushing the most weight uphill that day is a Big Mac. No spray tan or Caterpillar eyebrows required. 

Sorry Boris me again got this great idea.....

Caterpillar eyebrows :lol: where did this trend come from?? How to make a pretty girl look like a drag queen in 2 mins...

In terms of a group of the public generating electricity, I saw a documentary a few years back about a city where there are a lot of cyclists. The government started a scheme where bikes could be rented from different areas and there were different points where they could be dropped off and picked up, similar to a lot of cities here 

Then they added in tech to store the energy created by cyclists pedalling and when returning the bikes they are docked with the energy collected and put into the grid

Cant remember the city but I thought that was genius 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LRF4N said:

Caterpillar eyebrows :lol: where did this trend come from?? How to make a pretty girl look like a drag queen in 2 mins...

In terms of a group of the public generating electricity, I saw a documentary a few years back about a city where there are a lot of cyclists. The government started a scheme where bikes could be rented from different areas and there were different points where they could be dropped off and picked up, similar to a lot of cities here 

Then they added in tech to store the energy created by cyclists pedalling and when returning the bikes they are docked with the energy collected and put into the grid

Cant remember the city but I thought that was genius 

The easy alternative for public power generation is to issue M&S nylon underpants to everyone - problem solved!

Did you see that article about harnessing power inside a tyre? Falcan are working on it, same principle but with undies. Simples.;)

• Haha 1